Station Master Calendar Regulator

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by gleber, May 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just picked up this Japanese Station Master Calendar Octagon Regulator yesterday for Mother's Day. For me of course, not my wife - she's such a good sport. I searched the forum, and found a few links, but no pictures, so I thought I would share these. It looks complete and original. The only flaws I see are some extra screw holes for the movement and dial pan.

Does anyone have an idea of the age (1960s-70s?), or any history of the maker or Japanese clocks in general? The only marks I can see are No (0) Jewels, Unadjusted, Japan. I don't see much love on here for Korean clocks, so I thought I would ask. I'm not a fan of the stamped pieces for levers, but otherwise the movement looks solid and the case quality has nice joinery and looks to be solid wood (no veneer that I can see).

A little cleaning, spit and polish and this should turn out to be a nice specimen.

Tom

View attachment 343804 View attachment 343805 View attachment 343806

2. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Tom,

I have not seen enough Japanese clocks to date them.

I doubt this was used in railroad or subway station for many reasons.... Clocks for train or railway stations would be time only not time and strike and typically would have much higher quality movement. English used fusee movements for all the railway stations and US would have used weight driven clocks until electric clocks were available.

The more common Japanese clocks were produced by Seikosha prior to WWII.

Early Korean clock movements were "decent" quality roughly equal to German, but as their production ramped up the movement quality dropped significantly so the clock industry collapsed and left a very bad taste in everyone's mind for Korean clocks. We have an early one from late 1970s that I have in my basement that ran quite well.

Andy Dervan

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the info. I agree that most of these regulators are regulators in name only, and I also agree that this one was made for the home market rather than for official time keeping.

I do like the calendar feature since it is my only clock with that feature. I only have moon dials otherwise.

Tom