Starter clock project

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by IrishNick, Nov 26, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. IrishNick

IrishNick New Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi guys, I'd really appreciate any advice here.
    My 80yr old father recently retired, and consequently has more time on his hands than he's had for the previous 60 years.
    He's an engineer and pretty good with his hands; he built a few model sail boats last year, but got bored with the after the 3rd one:)
    I was thinking that he might like to have a go at building a clock to keep himself occupied in the winter.
    I'm looking for suggestions about where to begin sourcing a suitable clock building kit, as most of what I see online tends to either assume extensive experience, or it's aimed at children.

Ideally I'd like something:
    • Of medium size, like a carriage clock
    • Something that might look ok on the mantlepiece or wall once it's done
    • That doesn't require a workshop to build, just hand tools. No casting up escapements
    • Preferably no electronics or batteries, if possible
    • Good starter project that might get him interested. Anywhere from 20-100 hours build time
    Ok, I admit, that's a pretty narrow set of criteria, but you get the gist of what I'm after, so I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Phil Burman

Phil Burman Registered User

Mar 8, 2014
    Suffolk England
    Country Flag:
  3. tok-tokkie

tok-tokkie Registered User

Nov 25, 2010
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Country Flag:
    What about a wooden clock made using a scroll saw. An acquaintance of mine asked me about it. Basically you laser print (on paper) the outline of each component then stick it onto good plywood and cut close to the line on a scroll saw then file to the line. Here is one of the emails I sent him.
    ----------------
    I thought there were lots but it seems not. Found this site Gary's wooden clocks Downloaded his attached file. It is a CAD file so you need to download a free CAD program like QCAD – but better still find someone who is familiar with Cad & ask him to print the plans for you. Each component has a 1x1 inch square to check that it has been printed correctly to scale.

I will keep an eye out for free plans. But this fairly simple one should show you if you want to persue the idea without frustrating you.

Have just checked the rest of your message & I see that Adronis=Gary’s clocks which I have just used. I know his original site with a whole stack of clock plans closed & it has been resurrected – but just a single clock now it seems.

Ah this is better 7 Free Wooden Gear Clock Plans for You Eccentric, Masochist Woodworkers | Try Wooden Clock #1 or WC#5
    ------------------
    EDIT I have just checked the last link & see it has photobucket pictures. I downloaded the fix so they show - but it has not worked in this instance which puzzles me.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I purchased a kit from wooden-gear-clocks.com many years ago. They have several different levels to choose from and you can pick your own finishes. The prices are pretty decent for what you get without trying to do everything from scratch. Check them out.

I'm sure there are others out there of various types and materials.

5. IrishNick

IrishNick New Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for all the advice guys - I'm going to go with the wooden gear one - looks like what I was after

6. jeastwood

jeastwood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2008
    I hope I'm not too late -- do look at Clayton Boyer's large variety of wooden gear clocks (and other mechanisms, including orreries) that he sells plans for:
    lisaboyer.com

Some very interesting and lovely designs.

Best regards,

Jeff E.

7. MicroDan

MicroDan New Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    What about Weatherman Weather Station Kit with mini mini weather station.