Star wheel and paddle adjustment

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
Is there a trick to setting up a countwheel strike so that the paddle rests between the star points after the strike? I have taken a Junghans movement apart several times and every time the paddle hangs off the tip of the star wheel at the end of the strike.

Ron

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Large adjustments are done at the star wheel. Smaller ones are done one wheel up. The star wheel may be one that's a friction fit and can be turned. Willie X

Reactions: Rockin Ronnie

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Last Junghans I worked on, it took me 10 times to get the star wheel to stop exactly where I wanted it. And yes, follow Willie X's advice. Once the paddle drops off, it is the upper wheel that must be disengaged and adjusted.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Count wheel strikes don't usually have a star wheel/paddle setup. Can you post pics?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Interesting. When the train stops, see if you can turn the star wheel until the hammer falls. Most are friction fit. I use a screwdriver braced against a pillar. It should take a little pressure to turn, but don't force it too hard if it doesn't want to turn. The pivots will take an amazing amount of pressure against them when mounted but you don't want to break one off.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
RR,
How much stroke do you have on the hammer. If more than an inch, adjust the stop a bit. This won't change the lifting tail position much but it does change it.
Willie X

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
If you had the count wheel off it may not be positioned where it was originally. If it is a pressed you may be able to just advance or retard the count wheel position so the count blade drops after the hammer falls.

RC

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Some are very tight. In fact, so tight that too much pressure is necessary to move the star wheel. Damage can be caused if not careful. I made a special tool from an open end wrench that came with a furniture assembly kit. It’s thin and works well. I just inserted two short pins in each jaw. It allows you to hold the wheel next to star wheel without putting pressure on the adjacent wheel while prying the star wheel.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
On the Westminster, you might be able to adjust it with the gathering pallet.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre