Star Watch Case Co.

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Todd Van Maanen, Oct 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Todd Van Maanen

Todd Van Maanen New Member

Oct 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I received a gift of a Waltham Model 1883 (5810798). Thru the website I was able to learn a great deal about the movement. I'd like to know more about the case. It appears to be a Star Watch Case Company with a serial number 365477. I could not find the trademark in the information on W. C. Co (see attached photo). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

watch.jpg

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I wonder whether it might help to see the whole case, including the movement as it rests in the case? The Star Watch Case Co. began in 1897 in Elgin, Il, and moved to Ludington, MI, in 1905. Elgin Giant seems to have started much later than the estimated production date of the watch movement (Waltham Pocket Watch Information: Serial Number 5810798 (Grade No. 3)). An Elgin Giant case would, thus, possibly suggest a re-cased movement.

4. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe it's Star watch case co. They started in Elgin in 1897 and stayed there till 1905 according to this encyclopedia article.

Star Watch Case Co.

I don't see any trademarks of Elgin Giant including a star. Of course, this was just a quick search of the Message board encyclopedia and Pocketwatchdatabase.

Just my thoughts, worth about the same as a wooden nickel.

5. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I agree(my bad) the dates are wrong and a Star around W. C. Co. Elgin Ill makes sense.

Rob

6. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    According to this trade mark registration, The Star Watch Case Co. began using the Star trade mark in 1909. I can't account for its used on the OP's case marked "Elgin, Ill" in light of the compamy's 1905 move to Ludington, MI.

1909_Star_Patent_R_Sweet.jpg

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    This may be splitting hairs too fine, but might the difference lie in the "empty" star as shown in the trademark document vs. the star with lettering within? Could there also be some distinction between Elgin, IL, trademarks and Ludington, MI, trademarks?

8. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Yes, it might. Also, I'm used to seeing a much smaller star than appears on the OP's case.

I guess so, but I would expect the distinction to depend more upon the date than the company's location. Of course this amounts to being the same thing.