Star V logo- for watches only?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Bill Ward, Jan 13, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    I recently purchased a table clock, looks about 1900, with a painted-over label, but a logo is visible. It's a "V" within a 5-pointed star. The star has two points down, like feet. Does anyone know this logo?
    Kochman lists a similar logo, but with one point down, as the Venus ebauche Co., in Switzerland. However, AFAIK, that was purely a watch movement manufacturer. The " Lexicon der Deutschen Uhrenindustrie" does not list such a mark, but that covers only German companies. Kathy Pritchard's book describes the logo, but doesn't illustrate it
    The clock case looks like a sort of miniature schrank, with twisted columns on the door, diamond bosses, and an arcaded molding across the top, so it looks like something from Southern Germany or Switzerland. The movement is American style 30 hr. It's currently outfitted with a French type bell, but the hammer doesn't hit it. It looks like the base of a gong was once screwed over the logo. See pictures on the Clocks forum.
    My first thought is that it was Chinese or Japanese, but I wonder if the Venus company might not have had a go at clocks once.
    Does anyone have a Venus watch movement at hand, with the star V logo, to confirm which way the points are oriented? Any other thoughts? Thanks!

2. Cary Hurt

Cary Hurt Registered User

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill,

I don't think it's a Venus. I can't get a good image from a watch, but this is a scan from the oldest reference I've got, a 1940s Marshall Handy Manual...
    http://www.members.aol.com/churt44966/venus.jpg

That's the logo that's stamped on the pillar plate of my Venus watches as well.

Hope this helps,

Cary

3. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    Thanks, Cary! That is one of the several Venus trademarks Pritchard lists. ( I guess that's the "ebouche" shield or cartouche.) But there is also one she describes which consists of a V inside a star; but she doesn't illustrate it, so I don't know if the star has two feet planted firmly, or is "en pointe".