Standard procedures for this BB ?

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Fortunat Mueller-Maerki, Sep 2, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for everybody who posted a review.

Might it be a good idea if all reviews started their subject line with "Review"? It would make it a bit easier to find things once we get real busy.

Also reviewers might try to remember to use the thumbs up and thumbs down icons to indicate the general conclusion of their reviews.

------------------
    FortunatMueller-Maerki, Sussex NJ

NAWCC Life # 174
    Chair, NWCM Library and Research Center Committee

You can reach me at horology@horology.com

2. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for everybody who posted a review.

Might it be a good idea if all reviews started their subject line with "Review"? It would make it a bit easier to find things once we get real busy.

Also reviewers might try to remember to use the thumbs up and thumbs down icons to indicate the general conclusion of their reviews.

------------------

NAWCC Life # 174

3. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    To Mike, Fortunat and all,
    I just noticed the addition of this forum and am very pleased to see it. A couple of questions come to mind, vis.
    -I have some old horological paper which doesn't fit with my interests. I'd consider
    donating it to the library but I only care to do so if its something they don't have. Is
    there an online catalog I could check?
    -Reviews of Bulletin articles? It probably
    would muddy the rug a bit but it seems like
    there should be some place for constructive
    commentary of these. Nah, bad idea.
    -Does ephemera (literature for the short attention span)belong here? I suggest that
    the criteria for this should include any
    material which might end up as a referencein the bibliography of some future article.

Books are a catagory that interest me and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes!
    -Cort

------------------
    <[';')>

4. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cort

Donating Papers (or Books) to the Library and Research Center in COlumbia is definativly the right thing to do, it is a way to assure they will be available for many generations of horological enthusiasts.

It is fair to want to give only books or material we do not have yet. (Although we do strive to get at least a second copy of every book so we have a "lending copy" which NAWCC members can borow through the mails)

You can check yourselves for books if we have a copy (or how many) as the library catalog is on line and available over the Internet. Go to nawcc.org and follow the links to library and library-on-line.

For research papers, old catalogs etc the catalog is not yet on line but a simple phone call or e-mail to the LARC librarian Sharon Gordon or the Library Director Beth Bisbano will suffice and they will check for you if we have the material in question.

Fortunat

------------------

NAWCC Life # 174

5. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

Fortunat, your suggestions sound good to me, I'll try to follow them.

Sam, if Fortunat has potentially 4000 book reviews to share, I don't think we should slow him down. They'll be there when we're ready to read them.

Cort, discussing anything horological that's on paper is OK with me.

Bulletin article reviews are OK, as long as we're accurate, professional and polite to one another.

Yes, the library has an online catalog. It's not the greatest search engine in the world, but it does find many things. There's a link (Library Online) off the library home page. For example, do a search on Albert Potter. But nothing beats going through the vertical files and finding out for yourself.

Regards,
    Mike

Oops, I see Fortunat already answered this!

[This message has been edited by Mike Kearney (edited 09-03-2002).]

6. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sam,

Just read or reread your old bulletins at your own pace; many have old ones to get rid of and they are usally free at many chapters and marts!

Isn't there enough to read on these MB; OR, Sam you can scan them all for your new webhorology! :biggrin:

------------------
    Jon Hanson, nawcc#8801

7. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Registered User

Nov 29, 2000
    Manager of Engineering Programs
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sam, you have my implicit permission to use my entries in this message board in any way you see fit on webhorology.

8. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

Sam, you are always welcome here. I thought you were kidding and I was just kidding back.

Regards,
    Mike