Standard Electric Time Master Clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by susan wood, Jan 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. susan wood

susan wood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Country Flag:
    A friend is reviving a 1929 school master clock with mercurial pendulum and a 4 circuit (two tapes) program clock. The tapes are missing. The tapes are 12 hour program tapes for Standard Electric Time Master Clocks. Has any one made these tapes and would share the exact dimensions or is there a source to purchase them?

2. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    The tapes are 1" wide. Drive holes are spaced 5/8". On my 24 hour program clock, total length of each loop is about 150". These come up on E-bay from time to time, I'm not sure if there's a modern substitute.

3. susan wood

susan wood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Thank you mxfrank,
    my friend calculated the tape length for the 12 hour tape to be 75.398 inches, so your estimate of about twice that for a 24 hour tape gives him confidence to go forward with his own project.

You say the sprocket holes are 5/8” apart. He gets 6.283, so, again, that’s pretty close.

He made a CAD program to produce the 12 hour tape in 6, 2 hour segments on one sheet of 8 ½ X 14 copy paper, then laboriously cut and taped the segments together, but has yet to hand punch (with an old pliers-type leather punch) all 60 holes, so he can try it out.

If it works out, he'd be glad to offer paper copies of the CAD image, or even the TurboCAD file itself to anyone interested in making their own.
    Thanks again.