Standard Electric Standard Electric Master Clock Voltage and Year

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by expeditionhiker, Jun 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. expeditionhiker

expeditionhiker Registered User

Jan 4, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Anyone know what voltage I should try for this clock? I'm also wondering the approximate year and where to hook up the power. thanks for all your help
    20180628_213748.jpg 20180628_213730.jpg 20180628_213812.jpg 20180628_215143.jpg master voltage.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Might be better to post your enquiry in 'Electric Horology' section, where experts on such questions are more easily found. It would also be better for future researchers.

Perhaps a moderator may move this for you.

JTD

3. Frank Manning

Frank Manning Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Retired
    Vernon, CT
    They run on 24 volts DC. You can use one of those converters that plug into the wall. I don't know the year, but assume around the 30's.

4. expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
    Country Flag:
    thanks Frank, 24V sounds about right. I have had 9-14V DC hooked up and it seems just barely enough power to wind, usually failing to wind and just making noise with the contacts trying to close. Do you have knowledge of all the manual buttons on these clocks? What are the following on the bottom inside cabinet: 1. SET KEY 2. RESET 3. WIND. I realize that the WIND button activates the wind feature, but why and when and how many times would you press this, maybe just a couple times when you first start it and it is completely unwound? The spring on this clock is very small, so I would imagine you could break it by over winding? thanks

5. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    This style of Standard master was sold from 1913 through the 1920's. Since they were often used to control bell systems and slaves in school and factory buildings, if you can discover the provenance you should be able to get a good idea of the year of manufacture.

6. expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
    Country Flag:
    This clock is from a school in Ohio that was built in 1936, is it possible that this is a 1936 clock?

7. expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
    Country Flag:
  8. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    1936 seems late for it, but it may be possible. That pendulum seems short by about 10", have you had this running?

9. expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
    Country Flag:
    You are correct about the pendulum, it was broken and someone shortened it. I'm currently fabricating another rod. All the electromagnetic coils seem to function, including the tape reel and self winding, can't wait to try with correct pendulum width. I wish I had a schematic or set of instructions, and the actual year. I have not been able to find anything online to help date this clock, except it shares the cabinet and components of older 1910-20's clocks, except the dials all have roman numerals. I'm guessing that since it is 24V, it would be 20's and possible into 30's, but just a guess.