Standard Electric Standard Electric Master and Slave - need some guidance please

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Jim Andrews, Jan 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Andrews

Jim Andrews Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Everyone, I just picked up this Standard Electric Master last weekend. It runs fine and has a transformer on the top of the case. It was gone through by a retired electrical engineer who loves these clocks. The seller told me that the tape/bell program had been disconnected, which I'm assuming is the wire hanging near the left side of the movement. I'm not concerned about that. Also not that there is a black jumper wire laying in the bottom of the case with tape on it reading B/L. The wind key does not work, so something has been by passed there as well.
    I have had this slave for probably 20 years and have never connected it to anything. It was given to me by a friend who said it was a working slave. My questions are: 1. What do I need to do to make the wind key work? 2. Will this slave clock work with this master? 3. How do I connect the slave to the master?

It would be nice to see this pair function as intended, but I'm out of my element here and need to call on those of you who've got this sorted out. Many thanks!

open case no dial.JPG movement connections.JPG case bottom.JPG center terminals.JPG r contacts.JPG trane.JPG slave front.JPG slave inside.JPG

2. Scot Traffis

Scot Traffis Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    if you search under Standard Electric Clocks several sites come up that have wiring diagrams.I will look to see if I have any that I could post

3. Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thank you for your reply. I have done a tremendous amount of research and experimentation and I have determined that my slave does work, however the coiled springs from the escapement up to the top of the case are missing. From what I can track down tracing the wiring, this is where the impulse is sent to the clocks. I'll continue to work on it as time permits. Thanks again.

4. Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the coil springs are just a fine cloth covered wire. I might have an extra set of them in my parts. will look tonight the I go downstairs

5. Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Scot. I tried to make one of my own out of light gauge copper wire that I think came with a garage door. It's two strand and plastic vinyl sheathed. From what tracing I can do, the #5 terminal that actually sends the charge to the slaves is the right most terminal in the inside of the top of the case. I probably missed where to connect them on the verge/escapement to get current to them because I got no charge to the slave and the anchor was loose. It's hard to tell where things are supposed to go when they've been removed. Do you have a photo of a working movement that might show where those two wires connect? Thanks for your interest in helping me troubleshoot this.

6. Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have two clocks running now. I will take some pictures tonight and post them

7. Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Scot, that would be most helpful.

8. Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    sorry for the delay was very busy at work. Hope these IMG_1449.jpg IMG_1450.jpg IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1449.jpg IMG_1450.jpg IMG_1451.jpg IMG_1452.jpg

Geoff Whitford likes this.
  9. Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scot, Thanks for posting these. I understand about things getting crazy. You mentioned that you had a couple clocks running and I can see the difference. Mine would be more like the one you have with the program tape. This helps me see how things were wired initially, but I couldn't tell exactly where the charge wire from the escapement to the top of the case (the right one on the inside top) connected. From your photo the best I can see is that it goes to the left side of the anchor. When I loosened a screw here to try and connect the wire on mine, the anchor just got loose. I did try to tighten it and see if it would work, but I'm sure I went onto the right side of the anchor, and I got no charge to the slave. I may get curious tomorrow and take the dial off and see what happens. Thanks for your time in posting these for me.

10. Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scot et al, I looked at my clock tonight and did some experimenting with the slave. Here are some pics that can't hurt and may show those of you with a better understanding of these clocks where my problem might lie. First off, I notice that the coiled copper colored wire that Scot's clock has running to the inside top of the case from the escape anchor has been re-reouted down to the power terminal to the right of the movement. The other black wire to that same post comes from the transformer on top of the case. If I try to connect the slave to this as one side, and the other to the black wire on the case, I get a charge to the clock, but the winding coils don't get enough juice and it doesn't wind. Also, after looking at Scot's clocks, I can see that mine is wired for the bare minimum of simply charging the coils to wind the clock. Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated, at your leisure. Thanks

top of escapement.JPG coiled wire to hot post.JPG

11. Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If I get a chance I'll take one of my clocks off the wall and get a picture of the back. That way I can trace wires and should be able to figure the clock out

12. Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That would be great, but a lot of trouble as well. Before you do that, let me get with the guy who setup this transformer. My clock guy in Wichita can get in touch with him and he may be able to tell me how to put it back to original. I'm going to head that direction this weekend so I may find an easy fix. I appreciate your communications. BTW, I picked up this nice copper slave in Colorado Springs at their regional a couple of weeks ago.

copper slave.JPG