staking tools

Gary Leck

Dec 17, 2005
Calumet
Country
Region
If you were buying staking tools, would you buy new, used, large set, small set. I am kind of new to clocks and may start looking at pocket watches too. Thanks

Gary Leck

Dec 17, 2005
Calumet
Country
Region
If you were buying staking tools, would you buy new, used, large set, small set. I am kind of new to clocks and may start looking at pocket watches too. Thanks

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
I would definitely start with a good used set that you can bid on, on Ebay. I would go for a K&D 18R set (I think I have that right), it's not only a good staking set, but you can also do jewels with it, as it has a handle and micrometer adjustment. I own a Bergeon set myself, 125 pieces approx., but has no jeweling capabilities. It cost around $900 I think. You can get that used set for usually around $150 or so I think. Bidding gets a little intense at the end of the auction, so it's best to have DSL or better internet speed. I plan on adding a K&D 18R set to my shop sometime soon. ........................doc

W

whargis

This is actually for Doc. K&D 18R I am not familiar with I have a set K&D Inverto Deluxe. Just got it for a good price on e-bay because the seller had it in the wrong room. I dont know anything about staking yet and was wondering if this is a good set to start with?

Cheers

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
Country
Region
K&D Inverto units had a larger, deeper base allowing some of the punches to be "inverted" into the base, allowing its end to be used as a stump whilst other punches were used above in conjunction with it. Most likely it is a good set, if complete and without any rust. I may have seen one of these on ebay, are the punches all sitting at an angle towards the front?........................doc

I forgot, K&D 18R's are noticable because they have an attachment on top allowing a handle to be used for jeweling. Try looking that up on ebay sometime, just K&D 18R, should ring up something there, I usually see them time to time.

Gary Leck

Dec 17, 2005
Calumet
Country
Region
I am trying to put together enough tools to do most clock repairs as I get more knowledgeable on proper methods. This message board is great for information as most people on here are quite well versed in clock repair. I thank you all.

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
Country
Region
Gary, in all this discussion, I failed to mention that the staking tools you want are hardly ever used in clock work. I never use my Bergeon set for clock work, unless I'm dealing with a platform escapement on a french carriage clock or some movement using a hairspring balance. There is a nice set available from most clock parts suppliers, such as Empire Clock and Timesavers..............doc

Gary Leck

Dec 17, 2005
Calumet
Country
Region
I have one coming from Ebay. I was needing to stake some pinion wires and thought that I might need a set sooner or later. I intend to try my hand at pocket watches some day and I don't like not having the right tool.