Stable Block Clock, Essex, England.

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by AWF, Aug 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AWF

AWF Registered User

Aug 6, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am new to the forum, but would like any advice on the clock in the stable block at Wivenhoe House, Colchester, Essex. The clock is marked W. Johnson, The Strand London, but no date is given. The stable block was built in 1846 and so far I have discovered that William Johnson worked in London from 1825-1842. It I have not come across any other tower clocks that he made, but know that he made a wide range of high quality clocks. This stable block clock has three faces and keeps good time, being wound once a week. The clock no longer strikes, but the mechanism and bell remain. Any thoughts or comments would be gratefully received. Anthony

DCA2963C-D4A1-4692-9969-BE370EC508BB.jpeg A8B246B2-D5A0-49BC-896C-490C0610234C.jpeg 62A07AD7-48BE-4359-94F1-103E1D5EFADF.jpeg F1F0F7DD-297A-4D9F-B643-58178019184A.jpeg B2A9322E-9F18-4E94-A462-B8B62E8CD371.jpeg

pidragos and scootermcrad like this.
  2. pidragos

pidragos Registered User
    Donor

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer; aviation parts manufacturing
    Sibiu, Romania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi and welcome.
    I would suggest to get in contact with Keith Scobie-Youngs, he is the owner of Cumbria Clock Company in UK. He can provide you much info on that, google and find the company.
    I can give you his mobile phone if you want, he is a reliable person to get in touch with.
    It might be very helpful also to get in contact with Chris McKay from Dorset England, he is very famous restorer, member of BHI and writer, he has huge contribution to British heritage of turret clocks, has a lot oh knowledge on history too.
    I can give his contact too.
    just let me know.

greetings from Sibiu, Romania
    Dragos

3. pidragos

pidragos Registered User
    Donor

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer; aviation parts manufacturing
    Sibiu, Romania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Anyway, a cleaning is required as some dirt seen on the transmission rod and it might be also in functional points of the mechanism...
    You said the clock no longer strikes...is this your inquiry? as it might be few reasons but detailed pictures required. I see no lines to the striking levers and i see only one weight for the driving train. so it might be the 2nd weigh is missing or not winded.
    Can you confirm the clock used to strike the hours and and 1/2h? I see only 2 barrels.

4. AWF

AWF Registered User

Aug 6, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dragos, many thanks for your really helpful comments. The clock has a bell and the striking mechanism but this has been disconnected and we are happy with that given the location of the clock. Anthony