ST Chicago with bell

ScotSun

Nov 28, 2017
Newark, DE
Country
Region
I have a Seth Thomas "Chicago" that has a center bell that sounds terrible when it strikes. I looked at images of other Chicagos and have yet to see one that does not have a gong. I'm curious if anyone has ever seen one with a bell or if I should try to retrofit a gong to it...

Bradford Needham

NAWCC Member
Oct 31, 2018
Portland, Oregon, USA
needhamia.com
Country
Region
(any news in the past year?) It might be that somebody adapted an ST clock to strike on the alarm bell rather than the (missing) gong. The attached photo is of my ST Chicago with alarm. Note the gong behind the alarm bell, and how close the alarm hammer is to the gong hammer.

FoshayNellieClock1.JPG

ScotSun

Nov 28, 2017
Newark, DE
Country
Region
(any news in the past year?) It might be that somebody adapted an ST clock to strike on the alarm bell rather than the (missing) gong. The attached photo is of my ST Chicago with alarm. Note the gong behind the alarm bell, and how close the alarm hammer is to the gong hammer.

View attachment 542752
Thanks! ...no other replies but your photo makes sense... I would love to have this gong instead of the wimpy bell... I will have to see if I can find something to retrofit it...

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment