ST 89c keeps pausing at same spot

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by JayRs, May 5, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JayRs

JayRs Registered User

Mar 17, 2014
    Vermont, USA
    Country Flag:
    This is my first serious clock repair. The clock is ST Adamantine with an 89c movement that had a broken mainspring. The clock was disassembled, cleaned and inspected. All pivots and bushings looked good so I put in a new mainspring and carefully reassembled the the clock.

Everything seems to working fine except the escape wheel keep stopping in the same spot on each rotation. Sometimes it works it way past and sometimes the pendulum just runs down while trying to get pass the spot. I've marked the spot on the escape wheel and it is only at that tooth where there is a problem. The video below show what is happening. I don't want to start "adjusting" the wrong things so I'm hoping for some advice to point me the right direction.

[video=youtube_share;v6igGaEw570]http://youtu.be/v6igGaEw570[/video]

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like that tooth is just slightly bent. Pretty easy repair. You will need a small pair of smooth jawed pliers to straighten it up by a thou or two.

3. JayRs

JayRs Registered User

Mar 17, 2014
    Vermont, USA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Harold, to the right or left (I'm pretty new to this)

4. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is where you have to do some thinking. Watch the action of the escapement and picture which direction of bend would allow the pallet to fall properly instead of hitting the tooth. Keep in mind it has to fall on the same side it does on every other tooth.

5. JayRs

JayRs Registered User

Mar 17, 2014
    Vermont, USA
    Country Flag:
    Ok, since it seems to be hitting the tip of the tooth when it should be sliding down the backside of the tooth, I say to the left.

6. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Correct. It only needs a very small adjustment so try not to go too far with it.

7. JayRs

JayRs Registered User

Mar 17, 2014
    Vermont, USA
    Country Flag:
    That and a few strokes with a flat file seem to do the trick. Ticking along nicely. The 89 movement seems to be pretty forgiving for a newbee. Time to oil her up, finish cleaning up the case and I'll my first clock done thanks to all the resources and help on this board.

8. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good work, Jay. If the action is smooth and consistent through 360 degrees rotation, you've got it.

9. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm impressed! Took me about 4 times to watch the video, before I could see it, even after you told me what was wrong.

This is good stuff for newbies, (like me).

10. Douglas Ballard

Douglas Ballard Registered User

Dec 2, 2011
    Network Information Management/Computer Repair
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you think this is fun, wait until you get an EW with more than one wayward tooth! Nice work on fixing your problem.