Help Squeaky Cuckoo Movement

Watchdog21

Jul 24, 2020
Tampabay Florida
Country
Region
I have read a few threads about squeaking sounds but I’m still not sure of the source yet. I recently cleaned the movement even though it looked decent to begin with. I oiled it and it still squeaks so then I stated putting a drop of oil in places I suspected and just planed on cleaning it again one I knew the source of the squeak.

Still squeaking. I have captured a 20 sec/ video of the movement ticking and squeaking. At first, I figured this was an easy find and fix but now I am at a loss of ideas.

Any advice is appreciated.

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I can see that your crutch loop gap is too wide. It also might be off center. The pendulum hanger needs to be centered in the loop, and just enough space to allow the up and down movement to be unhampered as it swings. A tiny bit of oil there is acceptable, and might stop the squeak.

Watchdog21

Jul 24, 2020
Tampabay Florida
Country
Region
I can see that your crutch loop gap is too wide. It also might be off center. The pendulum hanger needs to be centered in the loop, and just enough space to allow the up and down movement to be unhampered as it swings. A tiny bit of oil there is acceptable, and might stop the squeak.
Will give it a look and try this weekend. Thank you.

tipsy

Nov 19, 2016
Country
have you tried removing the pendulum for a moment? Does it still squeak then?

tom427cid

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Moultonborough,NH
Country
Region
Sometimes using the grease used on chime levers works better----lasts longer
tom

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
I think that “squeak “ is coming from the verge. A drop or two of pivot oil on the verge faces should silence it. It’s a high pitched squeal between the brass tooth and the hardened steel faces of the verge. Peter

Reactions: roughbarked

Watchdog21

Jul 24, 2020
Tampabay Florida
Country
Region
I discovered something as I was messing with it. I had removed the weights and was getting ready to put them back on when I noticed that the squeaking did not start until I put the weight on the time side. Strike side was fine.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Here's a cheery note: A search through the archives of this scholarly forum will reveal that squeaky cuckoo clocks are not easy to remedy. That's probably because there are so many things that can squeak given the Old World craftsmanship that goes into these wretched things. The crudely-stamped pendulum hook can be squeaking on its hanger, or perhaps it's loose on the two crummy nails that sort of hold it to the wood pendulum rod. Same for the pendulum bob. Look at the hook that holds the pendulum rod on its little trapeze, and the loops of the trapeze itself. When you oiled the clock you'd have oiled verge pivots and escape wheel teeth, so it's probably not those. So start oiling or perhaps applying a tiny smear of grease to anything that's supposed to move or perhaps not move.

Sometimes the squeak disappears spontaneously, too, thus foiling orderly scientific squeakicide.

Mark Kinsler

Reactions: Altashot

Watchdog21

Jul 24, 2020
Tampabay Florida
Country
Region
So it still squeaks after oiling the verge faces?
I'd be taking the verge out and looking at the pivots.
but you can try a little oil on them first, to see if it stops the squeak.
Correct. If anything, I have now progressively over oiled it one spot at a time but now luck yet. It looks like I will just take it apart, put the movement on a stand and let it run to maybe locate the source.

Watchdog21

Jul 24, 2020
Tampabay Florida
Country
Region
Here's a cheery note: A search through the archives of this scholarly forum will reveal that squeaky cuckoo clocks are not easy to remedy. That's probably because there are so many things that can squeak given the Old World craftsmanship that goes into these wretched things. The crudely-stamped pendulum hook can be squeaking on its hanger, or perhaps it's loose on the two crummy nails that sort of hold it to the wood pendulum rod. Same for the pendulum bob. Look at the hook that holds the pendulum rod on its little trapeze, and the loops of the trapeze itself. When you oiled the clock you'd have oiled verge pivots and escape wheel teeth, so it's probably not those. So start oiling or perhaps applying a tiny smear of grease to anything that's supposed to move or perhaps not move.

Sometimes the squeak disappears spontaneously, too, thus foiling orderly scientific squeakicide.

Mark Kinsler
It certainly is being tricky. Even though I oil the verge pivots, I did not put oil on the escape wheel teeth. I believe that it is time to take the movement out and put it on a stand to try and track it down.

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you put a little oil on the entry pallet, it will migrate to the EW teeth with about the right amount of oil. EW teeth normally get just a little oil.

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
I would try a little smear of oil on the sides of the pendulum rod that touch inside the crutch loop.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jr webster
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool