Spring winder

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region
I didn't get any nibbles in the tool forum so I ask y'all since it is used in clock repair.

A friend gave me this about 25 years ago. I filed it away til a few days ago.. He told me the name of it at the time but that brain cell is long gone. Can't find a duplicate on the web..

I have five arbors that came with it but it still looks like it is lacking some way to capture the spring. I see ways to modify it and will if no further info can be had. There are no markings on the winder and the bag with the arbors was labeled Bergeon but I know this winder isn't a Bergeon.

Thanks

Attachments

Jim W

NAWCC Member
Sep 1, 1976
New Jersey, USA
I have one like the one you have - also with no name on it. It can be used, as is, for winding and unwinding hole end springs in barrels. The spring/barrel assembly to be worked on is put on one of the arbors of suitable size, and the spring hole end is fitted on the dovetail shaped protrusion on the steel top member. This top member is slotted to allow lateral movement to let you align the arbor with the dovetail.
Since there is no mechanical means provided for holding the spring barrel, you need to either:
1. Hold the spring barrel in your hand (using a heavy leather glove or equivalent) while turning the crank to wind or unwind the spring. The ratchet spring can be moved to allow cranking in either direction.
Or:
2. Devise some kind of mechanical clamping means to hold the barrel while turning the crank.
The winder can also be used for loop end open springs by making a double ended hook from heavy gage steel wire - one end to hook over the top member and the other end to engage the spring loop.

Jim W

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region
Thanks Jim. I still can't understand how the top bar would engage the spring hole end inside the barrel. I either plan to modify this winder or build a variation of Joes winder but I would like to know how this one works before I do...

This winder looks like an accident looking for a place to happen the way it is..

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
How big is that critter? It looks like a pocket watch mainspring winder.

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
The mainspring winder in the photos is said by some to be the "English Pattern" mainspring winder and are known to be used only by those who are well experienced with the tool and those "throwing caution to the wind."

I have used one with extreme caution. Mine is equipped with two "hooks" that fit in the slotted uprights that reach inside the mainspring barrel to engage with the hole end after first winding the mainspring enough to expose the hole end. It is a two-handed operation to hold the spring barrel with one hand, while engaging the tang of the hole end with the hook. Then, while holding one's breath, slide the spring barrel away from the captured mainspring. :eek:

At this point, the spring can be unwound or a slotted sleeve slipped over the mainspring to "capture" it safely.

I made the mistake of bringing mine to an NAWCC clock repair class. The instructor would not permit its use in the class. :(

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL :Party:

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
My suggestion: Place it on the shelf as a curio, and go with the Collins winder. You'll be glad you did.

:Party:

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I'm with Bang on that one!

Joe Collins' design is good and easy to make from bits you'll find in your scrapbox. All I had to buy were the sleeves, but at a pinch a local exhaust supplier might have some offcuts of tube.

The "English" pattern I have never used and cannot see why they were ever popular.

As for Bergeon, just look at the prices, as usual with their stuff! :eek:

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region
Thanks all. Good advice. I'll go with Joe's winder..I've always just done it by hand so I thought I would update..

dAz57

Dec 7, 2011
sydney Australia
Country
Region
As for Bergeon, just look at the prices, as usual with their stuff! :eek:
you mean this beasty http://www.ofrei.com/page626.html

they work like an oversized watch mainspring winder, except they cannot remove the spring from the barrel, they do have issues too, since they 'pop' the spring into the barrel and if your attention is distracted the spring can miss the barrel and hit you in the face.

here is a two part utube of a guy using one, in the first part he hasn't locked the tube correctly in the frame, and the second part shows how the spring opens up on the centre which you have to correct before fitting the arbour, also watch his hand holding the barrel as the spring is popped in, I would not like to do a music box spring with this tool thank you very much.

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr2522AU2p8
part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukwAl0QdOnM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
objectsnthemirror
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff