Spring winder

T

trevor thomas

Does any one have a drawing of a spring winder,so that I could have a go at making one. The cost of a ready made job seems a little excessive to say the least,I could buy a couple more clocks for the prices quoted.I recently replaced a spring in a German wall clock but had to inovate replacement using a g clamp which was succesful but more than a little risky if you know what I mean.The main parts I need to know about are the bit where the spring goes, and the part that does the winding, the rest I think I can design myself ,Please send pictures.I am still very new to this hobby but enjoying every MINUTE Ha Ha . Trev

T

trevor thomas

Does any one have a drawing of a spring winder,so that I could have a go at making one. The cost of a ready made job seems a little excessive to say the least,I could buy a couple more clocks for the prices quoted.I recently replaced a spring in a German wall clock but had to inovate replacement using a g clamp which was succesful but more than a little risky if you know what I mean.The main parts I need to know about are the bit where the spring goes, and the part that does the winding, the rest I think I can design myself ,Please send pictures.I am still very new to this hobby but enjoying every MINUTE Ha Ha . Trev

Robert M.

Nov 20, 2004
Trev,one of the fella's who is a frequent poster on this site,Joe Collins,made his own spring winder and it looks quite functional and appealing to the eye.Hopefully Joe will see your post and respond in kind.If not you can send him a private message and knowing Joe he would be more than happy to get you started.
Best of luck with your mainspring winder endeavors.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Go to the "FIND" box and type in, "mainspring winder" and you can benefit from MANY previous posts on this subject. I'm not brushin' ya off - just giving you more information in the interim.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I think that I would like to make a Bergeon type - it is just finding all the bits of steel tube for the barrels that would be a faff.
If you have not seen one, it is the sort that has a handle with an arbor hook to wind the spring into the barrel, and a threaded tube with a handle on the other end to push the spring out of the barrel with a disc.

I'll do a pic if I get time.

C

Clickman

Scottie, I'ed also like to build one, but I went to "find" as you suggested, and what pictures there was is no longer avaiable......would it be possible for this info. and pictures be reposted? Like Trevor said, a store bought one is a little pricey. Why are they so expensive? Especially for no more that appears to be there. I'ed like a go at building my own.

T

trevor thomas

Thanks for all the replies,yes Joe I did receive your PM and have replied with address thank you.I know you were not brushin me of Scottie just a gentle push in the right direction all sugestions welcome.Cant say I have seen any closely enough to know any differences Mike, but if you can send a picture,great.Regarding tube I do have access to tube where I used to work let me know the sizes you need and can see what there is usual sizes in stock are, outside dia 1", 1 1/2" 30mm 50mm 60mm plus some oddments that will be knocking about in the racks.this is usualy 1.6 or 2mm thick wall welded tube hope this will be of some use ,Trev

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
BobH, a couple of reasons they are expensive:
1. They are not made in China
2. There is a very limited market for them, so no big volume discounts on manufacture.
If you do make your own, do it right, as a mainspring can be very dangerous if it gets away on you.
Harold

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by trevor thomas:
Thanks for all the replies,yes Joe I did receive your PM and have replied with address thank you.I know you were not brushin me of Scottie just a gentle push in the right direction all sugestions welcome.Cant say I have seen any closely enough to know any differences Mike, but if you can send a picture,great.Regarding tube I do have access to tube where I used to work let me know the sizes you need and can see what there is usual sizes in stock are, outside dia 1", 1 1/2" 30mm 50mm 60mm plus some oddments that will be knocking about in the racks.this is usualy 1.6 or 2mm thick wall welded tube hope this will be of some use ,Trev
Sounds interesting, Trev. :biggrin:
I will do a pic of what I remember of the Bergeon - googling was no use for the details.
Watch this space!

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Here we are!
Note that this is only a suggested design, based on the Bergeon, and I have yet to make it. Comments?
153.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ningxis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff