Spring winder

Copperdragon3

Aug 20, 2020
Country
Does anyone know if Joe Collins is still making his mainspring winding tool?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
He made the plans. Most people make their own winder.

Copperdragon3

Aug 20, 2020
Country
Yes, I saw the plans but I'm not a machinist; really don't have a clue or the proper tools to work on aluminum.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
If you can't do certain parts of the construction. Every town has someone who can, and will, do it for you.

And, it's a good excuse to buy a new drill press, Dremel tool, and other goodies.

Willie X

Reactions: Royce

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Does anyone know if Joe Collins is still making his mainspring winding tool?
I don't know if you've read the entire thread under the "Joe Collins Spring Winder Plans" stickie, but I'd recommend doing so. You'll find this post of mine...

Joe Collins Substitute Tooling

and a few followups. There were some very good and sane cautions about what I did, but in practice they turned out not to be an issue. I've been using this spring winder many times a week for a while now, and it works great. Another plus is that the easily detachable tap holder does double duty as my let-down tool, and the knurled chuck makes it VERY easy to control the speed of the let down. If I can build this thing, YOU can.

If you have any questions or want some more specific pictures, let me know.

Copperdragon3

Aug 20, 2020
Country
Wow, do I feel foolish! I did NOT read the entire thread, so please pardon my laziness. Dave, you cleared things up splendidly - thank you!

Reactions: Kevin W.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
If you can't do certain parts of the construction. Every town has someone who can, and will, do it for you.

And, it's a good excuse to buy a new drill press, Dremel tool, and other goodies.

Willie X
Right on, Willie! For me it's almost as much about the tools as it is about the clocks! I built my spring winder from scrap parts and about $10 of miscellaneous bits from the hardware store. The tool was the easy part - the sleeves were another story. Finding the right diameter tubing from which to make them can be a bit challenging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HamiltonFan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre