Spring Distance

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by mfalonzo9, Jan 28, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mfalonzo9

mfalonzo9 New Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello,

I'm building my first clock. Pretty excited as it is something new to me. I was wondering if any of you could help me out. The main problem I'm encountering is with the escapement. Started with a deadbeat as it is said to be more precise, but ended up using a recoil design, which seems to work pretty well. However, as I am testing the escapement, I can see a "whipping" movement on the suspension spring (not sure how to describe it, it is like a whip). So my question is, what could be causing the whipping action on the spring? Is there a specific distance I need to keep between the spring base and the yoke? Is there a specific distance from the yoke to the center of rotation of the pallets? Let me know if you have any recommendations on how to solve this problem (or any recommendations in general, anything is appreciated!)

Thank you very much

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "Whipping" doesn't appear in my lexicon of horological terms, I'm afraid. Is the spring kinked in any way? Does the pendulum describe a clean swing from side to side without a "wobble?" You don't describe the layout of the components in the pendulum suspension. If this is a typical suspension without any of the regulation components directly involving the suspension spring, and the pendulum leader hanging from the bottom spring chops, consider this. It is possible that the suspension spring is not vertical. If that is a problem, you need to loosen the top suspension spring fastening point with the pendulum in place. Make certain the suspension spring is perfectly perpendicular, then tighten the fastener for the top chops. If you could post a picture of those components, or a You Tube clip of the function (well enlarged), perhaps we might be able to help.