Spring Barrel Chart

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Jim_Miller, Jan 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Clock repair / restoration
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    is anyone aware if there is a chart that compares numbered spring barrels with their physical dimensions?
    For example , a # 40 spring barrel is _" diam across the face including the teeth, _"inner barrel diam, _" o/a height.
    I hope I explained it without to much confusion.
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought that this numbering system applied only to Hermle barrels, though now that I think about it I'm no longer sure. Mark Butterworth (butterworthclocks.com) would probably know. I do know that some barrel covers with different numbers can be interchanged, which can be quite disturbing when you're re-assembling a clock. I'd be interested to learn more about this.

Use 'butter' for both login and password on Mr Butterworth's website. You can e-mail him from there, and he's a great guy.

3. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Bruce Alexander, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Jim,
    I think that the logon and password are both "butterworth".
    You can also go to Timesavers and do a search on "Hermle". That should bring up an online list of Hermle Spring Barrels that they stock.
    Regards,
    Bruce

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    This part is readily available, so I wonder why anyone would need the dimensions?
    If you need a specific dimension I'm sure someone on this list can provide it for you. Willie X

5. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim, where is this chart? Can you post a copy of it so we can see what you are referring to?

6. Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Let me explain a little better. I’m working on a German movement similar to a Hermle. The movement had no manufacturers name. It merely says “ Foreign “. The barrel on the chime side is in pretty rough shape and I though I might be able to replace it with a Hermle if I could come up with the proper size. What I have is a barrel with 63 teeth, 41.56 mm dia across the teeth, Id is 35 mm at the cap recess, 34.63 mm I’d, 25.71 mm depth. I believe the critical dimensions would be the outer diameter and the depth. I’v included some pictures.

Will, I don’t have a chart for this, I was originally asking if there was one.
    Jim

F1A727C1-46EE-489A-A2DC-3E58C0B5F4C2.jpeg 2682B0AB-9606-44DB-86C1-D49086A02E6F.jpeg 6F70E2F0-28A1-427B-B6BF-F1463C68A86F.jpeg BE4A5AB2-4793-4BA6-80B6-8D019124AC6E.jpeg F3ED2843-607E-47D0-9C79-CB20E67BCF45.jpeg A1210E3A-45C0-409F-ADFF-BC1CD9714B23.jpeg

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Yep, that one needs replacing alright. There may be one out there somewhere but it will be a long shot to find a good one that is a match. Your best bet may be to have a new one made. Willie X

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Depending on how much room you have, you might be able to reinforce the barrel part and just have the gear made. It looks like two teeth have already been replaced.

9. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps those of us who have some of those barrels handy could measure them and post the dimensions. I would do so but I'm currently stuck in a Pittsburgh motel.

10. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim, I did not read your first post well. I know of no such chart. I do have a couple of boxes of old barrels. I’ll look through them and let you know.

11. Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Will, I would appreciate it.
    Jim

12. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #56 is 45.1mm at tips of teeth and 20.8mm tall
    #52 is 45.1mm at tips of teeth and 20.8mm tall

(I thought they looked the same. The teeth are identical as well. Perhaps the mainsprings inside are different.

#55 is 53.24mm in diameter at tooth tips and 25mm tall.

I haven't counted the teeth, but I will do so if that will help. The teeth on all three barrels are identical in size and shape.

I'd probably repair the old barrel. It looks like it probably works well enough at present and probably just needs its solder joints re-heated (carefully, for the gear may be soldered to the barrel as well) and everything polished. The bulge won't hurt anything.

I've run into "Foreign" myself. In that case it was the brand name, I guess, of a mantel clock.

13. Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mark, thank you for taking the time to furnish that info.
    Jim

14. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim, I have only one with that diameter but it has 83 teeth. The depth is the main problem. 25.71 is a very deep barrel. I think you are gonna have to do a re-repair on the one you have. A Hermle 40 is close but too small slightly. Good luck!

15. Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will, thanks for giving it a try. I’ll have to see which way I should go and then get with the customer.
    Thanks again and thank to all who gave me some thoughts
    Jim