Help Specific Area for Alarm Clocks?

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by seacor, Sep 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. seacor

seacor Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I recently joined as a member and have a fairly large collection of antique alarm clocks (peg leg type, etc.). I've seen this community come up before as a reference for such clocks, but have found that the vast majority of posts here are about wooden wall or mantle clocks. Is there a specific area for the common antique bedside alarm clock, or is the main forum the place to post for those as well? Just curious if I was missing a section.

Thanks in advance!

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Seacor,

Welcome to the NAWCC!

Here you go:

Post alarm clocks and other small clocks here

It is located in a sticky located under General Clock Discussions. The name of the sticky is "Post Your (Maker's Name) Clocks Here". From there, go to the second thread.

Regards.

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The clock collectors seem to like these "Post Your :... Here" threads and that is great if they want to do that. However, I find it difficult to follow discussions about a clock in threads like that.

We can add prefixes to the thread titles to identify the type or maker of the clock so that you can have a list of the threads which have that prefix. I personally find that rather more useful.

There is a difficulty that if one wants to introduce that system, someone needs to select those threads that have particular clocks in them that fit the category.. Since only a moderator or an admin has be authority to edit old threads by others, it turns into a job for someone who needs to volunteer to do it.

Another approach that takes less work is to use the Tag facility. At the top of each thread, just below the title is a place to put a label called a tag. Threads cannot be filtered by the tag, but it is a very convenient search tool. Anyone can tag threads with whatever terms they like. It is, of course, more useful if we agree on tags that are useful.

This thread has the prefix Help that was chose by the thread creator and it now has the tag alarm that was put there by Jane L. Tester.

Prefixes are currently available in the Clocks General Forum, Electric Horology, Watch Repair and Chronometers. When one opens the Watch Repair Forum, the description contains a link to the search for hints and tricks in watch repair that will show the list of all thread that have been the tag watch hints & tricks.

4. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wanted to refresh my memory on how this works so I created a new clock type group of prefixes and put alarm as the only entry currently in that group. If you want to General Clock Discussions. I edited a few threads so there would be some examples to show.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Is there an English translation of this thought?

6. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "to go" was omitted between want and to.

i.e
    If you want to go to General Clock Discussions. I edited a few threads to have the alarm prefix. so there would be some examples to show.

Please pardon my carelessness.