• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Spare Kundo Coil

David Provan

Jul 14, 2018
Country
No, sorry, I don't have one. I need one in working condition. And I live in New Zealand, to make life more difficult.

My clock (see 'My New Kundo Electronic') turns out to have a great transistor, but two dud coils. It is one of the later single transistor, two coil types with a strong, yellow plastic coil former and no brass centre to the coil. I'd consider any type offered, though. If it was the later, single coil type I could make up the external circuitry.
A friend has offered to wind new coils for me, but I'd sooner not put anyone to that much trouble if there's an alternative.

I realise my chances are pretty slim, as there seem to be a lot more clocks around than serviceable coils. Still, if you don't ask .........

20220509_160655.jpg

Last edited:

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
David

I'm sorry I can't offer a spare coil.

I have rewound a number of ATO /. Bulle coils. It actually sounds a lot more difficult than it is in practice. The capital outlay to get started is pretty cheap. I use a manual coil winder similar to the one pictured, and these are available for around 30 USD. I have only ever wound single coils, but as you say you could move your electronics to a pcb and use a single coil approach.

The main requirements are patience and the ability to use a soldering iron. The wire is rather thin and is easy to break. However you can noirmally get away with re-joining and carry on winding (you need to remove the insulating layer). Coil resistance isn't overly critical for the manually switched clocks, but I'm not sure about the transistor switched version. I'm sure other folks can advise.

You could also experiment my making up a replacement coil former. I use perspex tube and nylon washers. If nothing else, this should be a way to get up and running until you are able to source an original coil, or perhaps try to rewind your original coil.

Best regards,

Peter

coil 7.JPG Coil bobbin.JPG Coil winder.jpg

David Provan

Jul 14, 2018
Country
Thanks, Peter. Those winders are available on line in NZ, but the postage cost is a lot more than the machine.
I am having my coil rewound, although it will take some time. Meanwhile I have finished off what I can till the coil returns. The top of our Bonheur du Jour is getting a bit crowded.

20220519_145053.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cherrybark
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-