Soviet submarine clock?

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
A tech at a Honda dealer in NJ showed me this clock he had on the window sill behind his toolbox. It was dirty and he stated it worked until if fell one day. He did not have time to removed the rear of the unit to show me the movement. Anyone ever see one of these and who made it?

Attachments

Timm

Nov 19, 2005
Yes! I have one on the table beside me. I bought it for $29.00 in 1993 or so. I have the paperwork that came with it somewhere but it may be difficult to find after moving three times. I seem to remember that it is made by the Vostok Clock Co., or some such thing, but am not absolutely sure.

Sorry, not much help. I think they are still sold. As to whether they really are submarine clocks is another story...

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
I recall that the "Russian Submarine Clocks" were available in large quantities at very low cost after parts of the USSR fell away from the Moscow leadership.

We still see them offered at regional marts. I understand that they are nicely made 12 jewel timepieces but not particularly "clockmaker friendly." That is to say that disassembly for maintenance is difficult.

For what it's worth, TimeSavers and lkely other suppliers have replacement escapement platforms for these clocks at very low cost when one considers the replacement cost of other platform escapements.

Your Honda mechanic likely needs a new platform if the clock has stopped working since it was dropped.

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
The newer ones come in a very heavy metal case with a swing out door. The key that comes with them unlocks the door and then is used to wind the clock.
They are fairly well made movements but their one weakness seems to be broken balance staffs.

If that one fell off the wall--I feel sure the staff is broken . It didn't seem to take much of a jar or bounce to break them.

A friend of mine once hauled one in the back of a Jeep for several hundred miles. It was a newer Jeep and primarily interstate driving.
After reaching his destination--his clock would not work.
The problem--yep--a broken balance staff.

AllThumbz

Feb 24, 2007
New York
www.HobbyMachinist.com
Country
Region
richiec said:
A tech at a Honda dealer in NJ showed me this clock he had on the window sill behind his toolbox. It was dirty and he stated it worked until if fell one day. He did not have time to removed the rear of the unit to show me the movement. Anyone ever see one of these and who made it?
One of these just sold on Ebay for a pretty penny by a British seller. Had my eye on it, but a bit rich for my blood.

Thumbz

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Hi richiec

Your clock is indeed a Russian submarine type clock .

Tim t is right - your clock was made by Vostok Clock Co. This company is still in business making clocks and watches and the same submarine clock is still being made and exported. It is sold new in USA by various distributors for around US$150.

The wording on the dial of your clock reads 'Komandirskie', which is Vostok's trade mark for most of their products, including watches.

Lower down the dial, what looks like a curly 'B' is Russian 'V' and stands for Vostok.

The lettering right at the bottom of the dial says 'sledano v SSSR' which means 'made in USSR'. Therefore your friend's clock was made before the USSR changed its name. The submarine clocks manufactured after that say 'sledano v Rossiya' which means 'made in Russia'.

They are very solidly built clocks, but yes, Burnz is right, the balance staffs break very easily.

Hope this may help.
JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Sorry - typing mistake in my message above.

Where I wrote 'sledano' please read 'sdelano'. Apologies - I must have had a 'senior moment'!

JTD

fixoclox

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2007
East Rockaway ,NY
fixoclox.net
Country
Hi Folks I have many of these clocks. I have the one pictured but I have 2 larger ones from the 1960's that were actually used by the russian navy. The movements on these clocks from the 60's to the 90's are the same. The key to a long lived balance staff is to change the main spring. The original is way too strong and does not treat the balance very well. I have put lighter springs in all my clocks. The first thing I noticed was the noise from the escape platform was cut in half. They still run for the same time. These clocks were made for extreme temperature conditions. These clocks were not oiled from the factory, including the platform. I have seen these clocks with broken platform pinions,cracked pallet jewels broken staffs and click springs. These timepieces are really underrated they are great time keepers. If you change the spring your clock it will live long and be very dependable.(i) bill@fixoclox

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Hi Bill

Thanks for interesting information on the spring of these clocks. I often wondered why mine was so noisy - I never thought about the spring being too strong.

JTD

fixoclox

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2007
East Rockaway ,NY
fixoclox.net
Country
Jtd If you want the spring # I will let you know when I get home. Bought at timesavers. It makes you wonder if their clocks were this noisy how noisy is one of their subs. :) bill

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Thanks Bill, I'd be glad of the spring # if you have it. As for the noise, guess the sub may have been pretty noisy too!

Thanks,
JTD

fixoclox

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2007
East Rockaway ,NY
fixoclox.net
Country
JTD Here are some pictures of the russian cold war clocks the one with the star at 12 o'clock I made the dial and then laminated it it had the same dial as the other gray one but the paint was all flaked off. I love the hands. The dials are 6 1/2 in verses 5 1/2 in. on the one made for the masses. The other two are a radio room clock and a bottom wind with mercedes hands. The number for the spring is timesavers 16801. Good Luck Let me know how you make out Regards Bill

IMG_5097.JPG IMG_5098.JPG IMG_5099.JPG IMG_5100.JPG

Reactions: S_Owsley
C

Clickman

richiec, I was in St. Petersburg about 3 years ago, and a street vendor was selling all types of military items. He had 15 - 20 of these clocks. There must not be much demand for them over there. Just about anything you could name, he had.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
great to hear from all of you on this clock. I will pass the information on to the owner. He is letting it get really dirty by putting it on the windowsill by his toolbox but hey, he really isn't interested in the value, he just thought it looked cool. yes the top lifts up and it is wound by hand after that so it must be a later version. thanks again.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the Timesavers spring #, that's useful to know.

Nice pictures. You did a great job with that dial. I agree with you , those hands are really nice. Mine does not have such nice ones - I have wondered if they were changed at some point and are not original - they are rather ugly, square ended ones, like those you sometimes see on quartz clocks.

Best wishes,
JTD

clayber99

Mar 2, 2010
Is it possible to determine the rough age of a Russian Submarine Clock based on the S/N? In the case of my clock I believe the S/N is 1599.

Regards,
Clay

DSC_0126.jpg

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Greetings Clay,

First of all, actually, this is a not a submarine clocks. Originally it's just a marine clocks. Your clocks (with submarine on the dial, etc) were initially mentioned for export purposes, not for navy. I think estimate date this clocks were produced is 1990-1993. They looks nice though))

Regards,
Oleg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A lot of good info.

I might add, be carefull not to bump the second hand when setting.

I'm guessig you know what will happen ... yep another balance staff.

Willie X

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
How can someone tell a replica from a original which may have been used in service?
Seems to me like many replica clocks were made.

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Greetings Veritas,

Actually you will not find any replicas of such clocks. They are rather cheap initially and hundreds of thousands of them were made and still being produced by Chistopol Clock Factory (ЧЧЗ). There were 4 basic modifications as could be seen in attachments, from 1954 to 1982. Last model remains unchanged in production for more then 25 years. In times of difficult economical situation in Russia in mid 1900-s, there were many attempts to go for foreign markets with such clocks, so dials were marked with military logos, submarines, etc.

Chistopol Clock Factory was established in 1942 during WW2 when Second Moscow Watch Factory has been evacuated from Moscow to town of Chistopol (nowadays located in Respublic of Tatarstan). It would be interesting for you guys to know that initially Second Moscow Watch Factory was established with use of Ansonia Clock Co. machinery bought in 1929 by Soviet Government. I've made some post about this earlier: https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=59059#1. So it looks like these clocks do have American roots )))))

BR,Oleg

Attachments

stickfly

Jan 20, 2011
Gravesend UK
Country
20150410_225656.jpg 20150410_222959.jpg 20150410_222841.jpg
Hi,
I've not been here for a while but had a look around as I remembered this thread regarding the Soviet Submarine clocks.
I have owned the clock pictured above for about 5 years now and it is a superb clock. It keeps great time despite the fact that it looks a little beaten with the flakey paint.
I have a few questions though.
1. The pictures I have seen on the 'net that look like this clock all have a second hand but mine does not. Is my clock supposed to have a second hand ?
2. As I wind my clock up the key and mainspring feel like they are jumping / chunderring and the clock only runs for a maximum of 4 days without winding. Is this the mainspring barrel that needs replacing ?
3. I have not seen this clock on the 'net with the word between the winder hole and the hands, I have been told that the word means " ANTIMAGNETIC "
4. Do you think that this clock is genuine ?
It also has the numbers 4-76 2299 behind the door, stamped on the inside of the casing. Could they be a date of some kind ?

Regards ............ Gary

ScottS778

Sep 15, 2014
Kansas
My take on your #2 question, I'll bet your mainspring needs cleaned and lubed. In my limited experience with clocks the jumping and shuddering you speak of is the spring not sliding across itself as it is wound and unwinds as the clock is running. A good clean and lube might take care of that particular issue.

Scott

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
The last I knew replacement platforms were no longer available.

Michael B.

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2009
Carrollton, TX
www.clockrepairdallas.com
Country
Region
I have had dozens of these in my shop over the years. Almost invariably the problem is the platform. Currently, I send these platforms to John Barrs in Yelm Washington. You can find his location and pertinent info in the Mart. Repairs usually run in the neighborhood of $200.

stickfly

Jan 20, 2011
Gravesend UK
Country
Thanks everyone, here's a little more info.
I took a look at the movement today and got a bit of a surprise : First was the amount of oil that was inside. Someone has been in this clock before I bought it. Luckily the oil was not on pinions etc but dripping from the gear and ratchet against the mainspring.
Next I found that the four nuts holding the plates together were loose, two of them by a couple of threads. I later found that when all four nuts are fully tightened the movement will not move, the plates hold everything too tight so something is wrong here!
Finally, perhaps Michael B can help me here, the platform. I'm not sure what is meant by the " Balance Staff" but the platform does seem to have a problem : There is a shaft pointing downwards from the platform that engages with the clock movement. This shaft will spin at high speed but nothing else in the platform moves.
It's a shame about this clock, it's performed flawlessly until the last few months even if it has been bodged by someone in order to sell it on, so I hope something can be done with it.
Regards ........ Gary.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Pictures of the platform will help us identify the problem.
It may be the the pallets have fallen out of the lever arm
( these are tiny rectangular pieces ). It may be that
there is a broken pivot.
The balance staff is the arbor that the balance wheel is
mounted on. The ends are tiny and easily broken.
Tinker Dwight

stickfly

Jan 20, 2011
Gravesend UK
Country
Soviet Clock.jpg

Thanks Tinker.
I have just got the clock running again. The problem was the escape wheel was loose on its shaft. The shaft would turn but the escape wheel just stood still. It took some time but I managed to solder the wheel to the shaft and its running fine again.
The complete platform is available on ebay.co.uk from Ukraine, cost of approx $68 including shipping.
One last thing : Can anyone tell me what the pentagon under the 12 means. It looks like it has CT inside : The factory ? I've not seen them on many of these clocks.
Regards ........ Gary

stickfly

Jan 20, 2011
Gravesend UK
Country
Good to see it was so easy.
Tinker Dwight
I like that Tinker, made me chuckle.
I didn't find it so easy! The only decent solder tip I had was 2mm wide as my fine one was ruined some time ago and I forgot to replace it. After soldering I spent a lot of time slowly cleaning and filing away the excess solder.
It was an enjoyable process though, it's always pleasing to get something right.
Regards ...... Gary

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I might have gone the loctite way.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I think easier than solder and when you want to loosen it just heat it up.
I know some purists wont agree, but thats ok.

stickfly

Jan 20, 2011
Gravesend UK
Country
Hi everyone, just a little update on my clock.
After repairing the clock 2 weeks ago I fitted a new second hand & mainspring, both bought on the internet from Ukraine. £28 including shipping ( approx $43 ). I then wound the clock up to make sure it would run for longer than the 3 - 4 days it has been.
It finally stopped after 13 days 22 hours !! Not bad for an eight day movement.

New Second Hand - 25-04-15.jpg

New Second Hand - 25-04-15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Glad to hear you have finished the repairs and the clock is running well now.

russian_sub_clock

Apr 10, 2021
Country
Hello, I own 6 of these clocks and I already replaced one escapement. I have 3 spare escapements I ordered from Ukraine and Russia. My question is, can the escapements be repaired? If I acquired new balance staffs, can the escapements be repaired easily rather than ordering new escapements?

clock0.jpg clock000.jpg clock10.jpg clock09.jpg clock07.jpg clock11.jpg

stickfly

Jan 20, 2011
Gravesend UK
Country
Hello, I own 6 of these clocks and I already replaced one escapement. I have 3 spare escapements I ordered from Ukraine and Russia. My question is, can the escapements be repaired? If I acquired new balance staffs, can the escapements be repaired easily rather than ordering new escapements?

View attachment 648612 View attachment 648613 View attachment 648614 View attachment 648615 View attachment 648616 View attachment 648617

View attachment 648612 View attachment 648613 View attachment 648614 View attachment 648615 View attachment 648616 View attachment 648617
I think that the answer will depend on what is wrong with the escapement, but I can't see why any escapement cannot be repaired. If you look at my previous post, above, you can see how I repaired the problem with my escapement.
It is still running well 6 years later.
Regards ..... Gary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nacht Kreatur
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre