Soviet clock

stickfly

Jan 20, 2011
Gravesend UK
Country
Hi everyone,
I posted this question within another thread a few weeks ago but had no answers.
I'd just like to know what is the pentagon with what looks like CT in it below 12 o'clock on my clock.

20150510_004445.jpg New Second Hand - 25-04-15.jpg

I assume that it must have a meaning ?

Regards ....... Gary

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The logo you show is used on clocks of this type made by the VOSTOK Military Clolck Factory but I don't know what the logo is supposed to represent. Other clocks by the same factory have a curly letter B (V in Russian) which stands for Vostok but the logo on yours and other such clocks seems to be CT (ST) in Russian which I cannot find explanation of. But your clock is Vostok manufacture.

JTD

stickfly

Jan 20, 2011
Gravesend UK
Country
Many thanks for your help JTD.
I'll just have to carry on, somewhere there will be someone who knows ...... the answer is out there.
Regards ...... Gary

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I don't think so. Hammer and sickle was a well-known, well-loved logo and appeared on other clocks. I don't think it could have been 'stretched' to be as 'abstract' as the mark on this clock. Also, if it were, the sickle should point the other way (with the open side the left).

Just my opinion.....

JTD

Last edited:

ragobo

Apr 14, 2015
Barcelona
Country
Region
And what about that? I know its pure imagination but...

Vostok in russian is Востоk. The company could have taken the middle letters of the word (CT)

Edit: Although it could had something to do with Chistopol or Чистополь in russian...:whistle:

Last edited:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes, you are right that Vostok in Russian is as you wrote it (I cannot on this machine). But other Vostok clocks are marked with the curly B for Vostok, which makes sense. I don't know why they would take two random letters from the middle of a word, it is a bit as if Seth Thomas had ET or OM as a trade mark! I did turn Chistopol' over in my head originally, to see if I could make anything out of that, but could not come up with anything useful.

Part of the difficulty is that we (I, at any rate) don't know if the mark is supposed to be Latin or Cyrillic. Since the words 'made in USSR' appear in Russian at the bottom of the dial and 'Antimagnetic' in the centre also in Russian, you might suppose that the logo is meant to mean something in Russian too, but that need not necessarily be the case.

Well, we can carry on speculating but I hope someone will know the real answer.

JTD

stickfly

Jan 20, 2011
Gravesend UK
Country
Thanks again gents.
Chistopol sounds almost right to me. It's definately a large C, with a small T inside the pentangle and the Vostok clocks were manufactured in Chistopol.
I've seen a lot of pictures of these clocks as they have been made for a long period but not so many with this logo. This clock has a date stamp inside of 1976 so pre USSR break-up. Perhaps the Chistopol factory used the logo for a while.

Regards ......... Gary

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Well, yes, they clearly did use this logo, but what it means is still not clear to me. I don't see why two random roman letters would be taken from the romanization of Chistopol', particularly since the first letter of Chistopol' in Cyrillic represents CH not C.

For now, it remains unclear (at least to me). Maybe one day we shall have a definite answer.

JTD

russian_sub_clock

Apr 10, 2021
Country
Hello, I own 6 of these clocks and I already replaced one escapement. I have 3 spare escapements I ordered from Ukraine and Russia. My question is, can the escapements be repaired? If I acquired new balance staffs, can the escapements be repaired easily rather than ordering new escapements?

clock0.jpg clock000.jpg clock10.jpg clock09.jpg clock07.jpg clock11.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller