Mechanical WW Southern California Repair

Matt Allyn

Jul 18, 2020
Country
I have a Korean War Era Hamilton wrist watch. I think it was an Air Force issue watch. Anyways....Dropped it on my hardwood floor. Probably broke the main spring. Can anyone recommend a watch repair shop /person near Long Beach, CA; or in Southern California?
Thanks!

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Sorry but I can't help you with any watchmaker.

The mainspring would normally not get damaged if you drop the watch. It is more likely that the balance pivots might be damaged as well as the balance jewels.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Jorge Montoya isn't far from Long Beach. Bellflower. He's repaired a few watches for me over the years and has done a good job. He's also a long time NAWCC member. And he is on the list in the link provided above.

Unfortunately for you, I agree with Skutt50 in the likely breakage areas. The good news is that Hamilton parts, like balance staffs, are generally available. Jewels may be a bit more difficult. Hopefully, the drop "only" broke off a balance pivot.

Later watches, especially Swiss-made, generally have a protective device built into the balance setup. They can withstand knocks and drops better than non-shock-protected. Yours could go either way, methinks. If you provide an image of the watch mechanism, back removed, we can tell for sure. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fed1984
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre