• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Southern Calendar - Fashion - Springs?

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
I am restoring a No.4 Southern Calendar Clock Company Fashion clock. I have a question about the correct spring size. It appears that the spring have been replaced. I have checked the main spring listing here in archived threads (late up-dated 12/2008) but didn't see this clock listed.

Does anyone know the original/correct dimensions of the main springs?

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
That Fashion has the short pendulum and thinner plated movement so is runs well with the standard 3/4 x 16-18 strength x 96”.

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
I will try looking for the equivalent Seth Thomas movement and see what the charts recommend. I know that there are may possible that would make it work... and then there is the "as designed" solution.

Still looking for that answer.

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
The "as designed" solution doesn't apply after years of use and the use of modern oils that are far superior to the whale oil or porpoise jaw oil that was used when that clock was made. I have found that longer springs have a more consistent tension curve than shorter springs and always try to run as light a spring as the clock will allow to save wear and tear. My rule of thumb now is to run as long and light a spring as the clock will allow and still have overswing after 7 days.

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
Seth Thomas made the 85F movement for the Southern Calendar Clock Company to be used in their Fashion clocks. Here is the description (which contains the spring details).

85F Movement Discription.jpg

Now I can search the parts suppliers to find the right fit.

Thanks for the suggestions and the encouragement.

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.