Sourcing pins (rubies) for a Brocot escapement

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi all,

As I was working on the four glass clock I posted another question about a couple of days ago, I noticed that one of the pins (rubies) on the anchor of the Brocot escapement was in the wrong position and therefore was not latching into the escape wheel teeth properly. Then, the wost possible scenario occurred: it snapped off. Needless to say, I am rather annoyed by this. Does anyone know where I can find an appropriate replacement? Or are they so difficult to source that my best bet would be to take one off an incomplete movement?

As always, thanks for any help you can provide!

Best regards,

JJ

5D9E0CA3-01FE-46F5-BCDF-43E7EE3BF8E0.jpeg

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
I'm a sucker for jeweled pallets in brocot escapements. One day I will own one.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
I don't know about the Timesavers pins, but the Cousins offerings aren't ruby, they're a coloured form of quartz, sometimes called carnelian.

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
The pallets can be made using pivot wire and some lathe time. I bought a ruby set once and broke one during the adjustment phase.
now I just make them .

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Sicerest thanks to all who have responded. I was hoping such resources would exist for obtaining these pins but was not aware they did. The Cousins selection sems to be a good match. I think that they are commonly termed ruby pins as they probably were actual rubies when the Brocot escapement was originally introduced, but I believe that they are now made of carnelian, as Graham says - no doubt because it was less costly to use and better suited to mass-production.

Yes, I'm a sucker for a Brocot escapement too, or a visible escapement of any kind for that matter - except when something breaks!

Very best to all,

JJ

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

Forum statistics

Threads
Members