• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Source for semi-vintage Citizen case gaskets?

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Greetings all. Does anyone happen to have a source recommendation for finding case-back gaskets for Citizen watches? I did find a source but I'd prefer not to deal with potential overseas shipping issues, uncertainty of customs charges, etc. It seems more difficult than it should be. Does this mean that Citizen has taken a cue from the Swiss cartels, making it impossible for non-AD's to get parts? Thanks for any help. Cheers.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Thanks, Chris. Yes, it's an odd shape. basically as square with corners cut with 45's. I can order from Thailand, but there's a mystery customs charge that I'm not sure I like. I don't like non-contingent surprises. But if I can't get it anywhere else, I guess I spins the wheel. Cheers.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Thanks, roughbarked. I believe the case number is either GN 4-S or D060. The back of the case says: D060-086970 TA, 9083407, 42-8035, and GN-4-S. Thanks for any assistance you can provide. Cheers.

BTW, I believe the part number is 393-1169.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Thanks, roughbarked. That's where I found the part number originally. Unfortunately, they are out of stock. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that source in the hopes they get some back in, or roll the Thailand buy. The other option is to make sure I don't dip my arm under water with the Citizen on.

I also see that this source is also overseas. I'm not sure of the possible duties charged in/from the Netherlands. If Cousin's had it, I'd order it from them. As it looks I'll have to go with Thailand if I want it any time soon. Cheers.

Last edited:

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
In most cases, assortments and ordering gaskets is the most logical method of replacement as already mentioned. Unfortunately, occasionally, there will always be that one you just can not find.

In those cases, I machine rubber gaskets from "Rubber bumper feet" and " Rubber tapered plugs" typically found at the local hardware store.
Machining rubber requires certain considerations along with proper tooling and procedures.
To make a long story short, I will explain the following procedure to machine a example gasket as follows. Further info if requested.

(1) First, the OD of the Gasket is machined per first photo.

(2) Then using a .015" wide cutoff blade, I plunge twice into the ID of the gasket making a .030" wide groove per first photo.

(3) I then position the the cutoff blade to machine the thickness of the gasket and plunge to the ID depth. The example is about .010" thick. Second photo.

(4) At this point with the tip of the cutoff blade at ID depth, I move the blade to the right about .020" and it will part the bottom of the gasket off to proper ID. Thus the reason for the initial .030" wide groove, to allow the gasket to move into that space unobstructed while the ID is being parted.

(5) The gasket can then be lifted out of the cavity with a tweezers per third photo and the end result fourth photo.

Once familiar with machining rubber, This is less than a five minute job. All dimensions of a gasket are controlled by hand wheel settings within about .001" as with any machining process

Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_945.jpeg fullsizeoutput_946.jpeg fullsizeoutput_947.jpeg fullsizeoutput_948.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MrRoundel

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Thanks, Jerry. You do seem to find new ways to do things on that lathe of yours. It's all above my pay-grade, but I'll read through it a couple of times to see if I can understand it. I have an old SL1000 Unimat that I might be able to use. But one complication is that the gasket I need is a square with 45 degree corners. Once I understand the method, perhaps I'll see that it will work for such shapes. Thanks again.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
I ended up ordering the NOS gasket from Thailand. Fingers crossed. It's pretty pricey for what it is, but it may just get more difficult to source in the future. Cheers.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Update: The part arrived from Thailand in good time and is the right factory part. In case any WWW travelers arrive here to find proper part number for Citizen case # GN 4-S or D060, it is 393-1169. Best of luck finding one. I probably should have bought two. :mallet:

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Update: The part arrived from Thailand in good time and is the right factory part. In case any WWW travelers arrive here to find proper part number for Citizen case # GN 4-S or D060, it is 393-1169. Best of luck finding one. I probably should have bought two. :mallet:
If the watch is your watch maybe buy two but by the time you ever need to replace another the spare one would be soup in the bottom of the packet.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
If the watch is your watch maybe buy two but by the time you ever need to replace another the spare one would be soup in the bottom of the packet.
The gasket that was in it was flattened way beyond any possibility of sealing. It'll be interesting to see how flat the new one is by the time I need to replace a battery. While it does a few extra blinking doo-dads on it, there are no mechanical parts for it to move. Will that equate to longer battery life? Time will tell.

Yes, it's my watch. I understand what you're saying about the odds of getting another one to work on anytime soon if it weren't my own. The shipping cost was $10 so ordering two would have made sense. However, I wasn't 100% comfortable with the overseas purchase, and didn't want to risk anymore.

As Matt Damon would say (Crypto commercial that plays here in the US.), "Fortune favors the brave." :} I guess I'm neither destined to be a two-gasket guy, nor a crypto millionaire. :mysad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nauman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-