source for non-cheap brass tension washers?

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i have some of those inexpensive brass tension washers (with squared ends) from timesavers... i don't like them very much.

does anyone have a source for better quality ones? perhaps steel, with small holes that can be broached to fit minute hand arbor shoulders?

yes, i know i can (try to) make such out of old mainsprings... and will try again... maybe i've learned enough to be more successful this time out. :)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I bought such a set long ago but I'm not sure they are still available. They were blue steel, made for old French and German clocks. They came in a small plastic box with numbered compartments. The set was a bit pricey but you could order refills!

Will send a photo, if you like. Willie X

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
willie - that's exactly what i'm looking for ... a photo would be great. i will also reach out to labounty and see if anyone else has anything to offer. much appreciated. b

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
bruce,

Hope this helps. The round center holes are undersize and have to be enlarged with a diamond cylinder shaped burr. Each tray was once numbered on a card that peeled off the bottom an is lost.

The reason for the 'TOP' marking is because of what happens when you open the box upside down !!!

Willie X

IMG_20210415_112119.jpg

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
...The reason for the 'TOP' marking is because of what happens when you open the box upside down !!!
Even though it was right-side-up, I lifted one of those small compartmented boxed assortments of bushings without holding onto the bottom at the same time. The top held the bottom just long enough to get it high enough so that when they did surprisingly separate, the bushings became..... ummmm.... integrated fully ..... all over my workbench. Still haven't re-organized them, and have instead adopted the Biblical method of bushing selection. "Seek and ye shall find"....

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
MC,

There is an old saw amongst clock people where "spilling your bushings" actually means loosing some of your mental capabilities ...

Anyway, I do the same as you. Never trusting what it says on the drawer. :)

Willie X

Reactions: MuseChaser

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
Even though it was right-side-up, I lifted one of those small compartmented boxed assortments of bushings without holding onto the bottom at the same time. The top held the bottom just long enough to get it high enough so that when they did surprisingly separate, the bushings became..... ummmm.... integrated fully ..... all over my workbench. Still haven't re-organized them, and have instead adopted the Biblical method of bushing selection. "Seek and ye shall find"....
Just did that with a huge assortment of taper pins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S. Attar
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller