Source for 'Niagara' glass/decals

mr_byte

Nov 25, 2009
N. Central Florida
Country
Region
We got an otherwise nice clock at auction a few weeks back, but unfortunately the glass in the door was broken before bidding began. It was a "Niagara" and if you google "Kitchen clock glass niagara" it's the 2nd result.

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=1125&aid=40497&lid=10781174

I don't have the pics here locally to upload them.

In any case, I bought the clock thinking "No Problem!! TimeSavers will have the decal!!"

Please, don't laugh too loud at me...

Is there a source for a reproduction decal/transfer or am I mostly out of luck?

Thanks in advance.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
You might try Merritts, but I suspect they also would not have it. In fact, the number of transfers currently available seems to have declined in recent years. Another possibility is to keep an eye out, on eBay or elsewhere, for a junker case with the same tablet in good shape. That, however, may entail a long wait. Of course a MB regular also might have one that he or she is willing to part with, but . . . .

mr_byte

Nov 25, 2009
N. Central Florida
Country
Region
eBay would indeed be a loooonnng wait. I may in the meantime throw in some glass with a different pattern on it. It'd be nice if Timesavers would reproduce stuff, given that they bought Phoenix Transfer and all.

Not sure if the photos would be clear enough to use for some kind of reproduction or not, but someone else that owns one might provide pics for a repro project.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
As I understand it, transfers don't have a long shelf life, so stocking rare, or seldom used transfers wouldn't be very cost effective.
I probably use about one transfer a year, and only order them when I need one for this reason.

mr_byte

Nov 25, 2009
N. Central Florida
Country
Region
I was reading Timesaver's stuff on them, it seemed to say that sunlight would rejuvenate them, but I guess if they are a "perishable" item, yeah, having every kind would be a way to lose lots of money.

lamarw

Jan 5, 2002
Lake Martin, Alabama
Country
Region
As with far too many old clock, my clock has also suffered damage in its long life. The wood top has been broken at some point in time and poorly repaired.

Who made your clock? Does it have a label, or who was the movement made by? If we can ID the maker, then we mmight find a picture of your clock in a reference publication.

It is possible the broken Niagara scene glass in not original, or the maker used various scenes for the glass in your model. It is nice to cover all the possibilities.

mr_byte

Nov 25, 2009
N. Central Florida
Country
Region
Sez here in the fine print that it is (removing dial) an Ingraham.:eek: I rather thought your glass looked about exactly like this one used to, except that yours is rectangular on top and mine would have been rounded :D Now I wonder if Timesavers/someone does transfers from JPG/Scan?
-----
Edit: Timesavers doesn't do custom transfers.

Last edited:

inbeat

NAWCC Member
Nov 10, 2000
Portland, Oregon
Country
Region
I was reading Timesaver's stuff on them, it seemed to say that sunlight would rejuvenate them, but I guess if they are a "perishable" item, yeah, having every kind would be a way to lose lots of money.
Actually, a microwave oven brings them back a little also...I forgot how long, etc., but remember when my buddy Tom started Phoenix Transfers and we used a microwave a few times....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shamrock green
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff