Source for Large Chimes Bells - Tower Clock Size

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by scootermcrad, Apr 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm back with more weird questions...

I've been trying to find a chapter 134 Newsletter (3 or 4 issues ago) that had an article that had a self contained chiming tower clock with what appeared to be a Standard Electric Tower Clock base with a mechanical movement, possibly a Seth Thomas (hopefully someone remembers). I believe the clock was a 3 train with a stack of bells underneath, from what I remembered looking at the picture, to range in size from like 4 inch to about 9 inches, or so. Or at least they seemed that large.

First off, does anyone recall the article and clock? Any #134 members reading.

Second, and the base for the question: can anyone share a source for LARGE chime bells? Like up to 12". Largest I've seen in the usual places is about 5-3/4" or 6". I'm referring to the brass stackable "bowl style" chime bells.

Any help would be appreciated, as always

(picture from Timesavers)

T81030632.jpg

2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I looked through the last 10 issues and didn't see any nested bells.

Frank

3. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shoot. I'm going to have to do some digging to find that issue. I think it was the last or second to last full printed issue that we had before switching to digital format. I think it was one of the first articles. Black and white picture. Driving me crazy that I can't find the issue.

4. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've reached out to Russ Oechsle from #134 to see if I he could recall the article.

In the meantime, anyone have information on anyone making extra large bells of this style?

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could ask Taylors, though I think these are still called small bells.

Home

scootermcrad likes this.
  6. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Found the clock I was looking for. My buddy Phil has a picture of it in a catalog. Seth Thomas #14. Just the legs appear to be of another make. Bells underneath and look to be pretty sizable!

C9EDED30-BDFD-4A7A-9997-70E43D02AB74.jpeg

7. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would also like to add a thank you to Russ Oechsle and Don Bugh from chapter 134. They located the article on the above Seth Thomas #14 that I was looking for.

The article calls the bells "Hemispherical Bells or Chimolas

Sounds like the bells were made by the Meneely company, which I'm familiar with, just never realized they made these hemispherical bells. They had 20 different sizes. The bells on this clock were 8", 8-3/4", 10" and a whopping 14 inches.

Meneely closed in 1952. Did anyone take over their casting patterns? Maybe they are floating around somewhere.

PatH likes this.
  8. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I poked around all the bell makers I could find, mostly in the US since that's where I would ideally like to purchase from, and WOW! One quote so far for a set of 5 bells and it was very high. One other potential coming, but basically nothing anyone offers that would be a specific note in a specific octave that could be purchased right off the shelf. Seems they may only be made on demand, unless any ol' size will do.

9. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  10. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  11. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I already checked Whitechapel. You'll find that their dome-type bells are not large enough and very expensive anyway.

Do you have to nest the bells? How about a separate array of traditional bells with a linkage? Brassbell.com has quite a selection in all sizes. You'd have to remove the clappers.

Frank

scootermcrad likes this.
  12. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for checking that out, Frank! Beat me to it.

In this case, for space constraints it would be be necessary, as everything would sit within the "imaginary box" the clock movement sits in. Going to try and fit everything within the maximum LxWxH of the movement structure, give or take a couple inches. Going to be very tight, but I think it's doable with some good planning. Or it may flop completely and I move on single strike two-train ideas... or underwater basket weaving, which would probably feel nice in our hot summers.

I refer to your article on keeping tower/turret clocks in the home setting and keeping the wife happy. :)

13. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I talked to my tower clock guy who has that #14 clock with the bells. The bells are 8, 9, 10, and 14" in diameter. They have elongated necks that act as separators. He knows of no one who casts bells like that.

Frank

scootermcrad likes this.
  14. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh! Any chance you could ask him to share some pictures of that wonderful clock and tell us more about it? I would love to see some REAL pictures of that clock! So many questions!

It seems Meneely was the one producing those bells for that clock.

15. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It occurred to me that the last time I was in the Verdin Co. shop on a tour -- which was many years ago -- they had lots of S.T. and E. Howard clocks and bells. Maybe they have a set.

Frank

16. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes. I have been in contact with Verdin and they have been extremely helpful. They indeed seem to be the only ones that make these larger bells, as far as I can tell. They are beautiful bells! I have actually had them quote me a set of 5 bells (8" to 13", I think is what it worked out to be) and it was much more expensive then I thought it would be. Expensive enough that I must exhaust every avenue.

Thanks Frank!