Electric WW Source for #3510 Miyota Chrono. Quartz Movement

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by fijidad, Oct 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fijidad

fijidad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Retired
    Escondido, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have this watch in for repair; does not function at all with fresh battery(s) and Esslinger does not carry a replacement. Does anyone know of a source for this movement...or a suitable replacement? Thanks, Dan

Miyota 1.JPG Miyota 2.JPG

2. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    I normally avoid quartz movements but I had a Casio Wave Ceptor on the workbench the other week. New battery but still dead!
    Tuns out I had to shorten two points (with a pair of tweezers) to get it moving. Works like a charm afterwards.

Do you have access to a service manual for the movement? Perhaps there is a simple way to get it moving again!

3. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Seiko alarm Chrono I had was the same way. Had to reset it the same way skutt mentioned.

It's worth looking into, before changing the movement. I thought mine was a goner, and it wasn't.

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Such watches that require shorting usually have a designated AC position pointed out with an arrow. This merely resets the computer. As far as I can tell, Miyota no longer produce this movement.
    you may attempt to measure everything and seek for any other movement which may be interchanged.
    There are also other reasons why a quartz watch will not go with a battery. Why not take the few minutes to test all of these first?

5. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
  6. fijidad

fijidad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Retired
    Escondido, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks guys for the tips...I'll see if I can find the manual and hopefully can resurrect it using the shorting method. Best, Dan

7. fijidad

fijidad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Retired
    Escondido, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was able to find the manual online for this Miyota 3510 quartz movement, find the correct battery type (399) vs. the 395 that was in it, and discover that there is a procedure that I did not follow in trying to set this in motion the first time. So a big THANK YOU to the advice provided here and I'll let you know how this comes out. Best, Dan

8. fijidad

fijidad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Retired
    Escondido, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Skutt50 provided me some additional information which confirmed that the correct cell battery for this movement is a 395, but the procedure one needs to follow to get it running, I had no knowledge of. I'll proceed and see what happens. Grateful thanks to Scutt50.

9. fijidad

fijidad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Retired
    Escondido, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was able to perform some electrical tests with a known good button battery, and found the two first tests to be bad.

I removed the movement and found water had entered through two of the adjustment buttons, and I'll assume that's what killed this movement.

So, I'm back to wondering if there is a replacement/substitute for this Miyota #3510 movement?

10. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Sorry to hear that........

Good luck with the search.....

11. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Try this. I know it is two months ago but he had three. http://calibercorner.com/miyota-caliber-3s10-3510/ read to the last but one post.

12. fijidad

fijidad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Retired
    Escondido, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: