Sounds Following Cleaning &

Vint

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
Region
My Ingraham is working nicely and I enjoy the sound of its tick rock. Upon striking I hear a chatter and grinding sound as if the strike train needs a lubricant.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Could you clarify what your "cleaning" process was? Sounds like you may need a bushing here and there, maybe some new trundle wires, etc?
Old American clocks are not know for having quiet strike trains. Maybe it's not striking loud enough. :)
Some close-up photos of the strike train parts might help locate your problem there. Willie X

Last edited:

Vint

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
Region
The movement is old and was really dirty and oily. A few of the pivot holes are borderline in need of bushings. The pivots are in good condition, has a decent strike and trundles are in relatively good shape. I was just curious about the noise after giving the movement a thorough cleaning. She is keeping good time and for now I think I’ll ignore the rattle chatter and enjoy the clock.
Thanks for your input.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It's very likely a lantern pinion on the fly that's chattering. It can be caused by rough or grooved trundles or excessive end play on the fly. If it's the latter, a bushing placed proud toward the fly might help.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
It still might be a good idea to re evaluate that clock movement.
Ingraham was famous for very unstable click assembly mechanisms which makes them a potential danger to you as well as the clock movement.
If you see brass click return springs, that should be the first alert.
If you have not done anything to the click assemblies, that should be the second alert.
Ingraham click assemblies that have been around and used for a hundred years or so are due to fail.
Brass clicks with brass return springs, including those offered by the normal suppliers are inferior and are prone to failure.
Most are made in India and are substandard.
If you have used those to service the clock, you have set yourself up for a failure.
Without pictures, it is what you have not mentioned about the clock that is of concern.
The strike train making noise and the potential hazard of faulty click assemblies should be enough to warrant a second look.
JMHO

Dick

Last edited:

Vint

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
Region
It still might be a good idea to re evaluate that clock movement.
Ingraham was famous for very unstable click assembly mechanisms which makes them a potential danger to you as well as the clock movement.
If you see brass click return springs, that should be the first alert.
If you have not done anything to the click assemblies, that should be the second alert.
Ingraham click assemblies that have been around and used for a hundred years or so are due to fail.
Brass clicks with brass return springs, including those offered by the normal suppliers are inferior and are prone to failure.
Most are made in India and are substandard.
If you have used those to service the clock, you have set yourself up for a failure.
Without pictures, it is what you have not mentioned about the clock that is of concern.
The strike train making noise and the potential hazard of faulty click assemblies should be enough to warrant a second look.
JMHO

Dick
Makes sense Dick and the few items I’ve purchased from companies like Timesavers do indicate they are made in India. I’ve wondered about a source of supply where I can purchase dependable clock parts.....any suggestions is most welcome. Thanks.

Vint

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
Region
It's very likely a lantern pinion on the fly that's chattering. It can be caused by rough or grooved trundles or excessive end play on the fly. If it's the latter, a bushing placed proud toward the fly might help.
Yep, it was the small fan lantern pinion making the noise. I overlooked this particular pinion. Trundles not in good shape. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supatint
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff