Seth Thomas Sonora Chimes

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by tliette, Oct 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tliette

tliette Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Male
    Retired
    Greenville, Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've seen clocks with 2 types of Sonora chimes, clocks that chimes on a series of bell, and I've also seen clocks with the second movement of Sonora chimes but the hammers strike on a series of bars. Are both types of chimes the bells and the bars both considered Sonora chimes?

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    The name “Sonora” comes from the Sonora Chime Company. William Hoschke of New York, New York applied for his patent on this design on April 16, 1907, and the patent was granted on April 18, 1908. Hoschke apparently had a background with music box engineering that he utilized in his design of the Sonora configuration. Seth Thomas purchased the rights to Hoschke's bell chime mechanism and resonators patent around 1912, changed the movements to suit their own manufacturing techniques, cut the price substantially, and successfully marketed a full line of “Sonora” clocks with numerous models and configurations. The unique, rich, resonant sound of Sonora bell chimes comes from the wooden expansive sound chamber in which the cup bells are mounted. They are struck with leather-tipped hammers.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, the bells are much more pleasant to hear than the rod type. I have one of each.

4. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The gong rods originally used by Seth Thomas were made by R. H. Mayland's company in New York. The very last production runs of "Sonora" chime clocks utilized the Mayland gong rods before Seth Thomas switched over to the 113 and 124 three train chime movements. I do not personally consider clocks with the Mayland rods to be Sonora clocks regardless of what may be claimed elsewhere.

breeze likes this.
  5. KyleG

KyleG Registered User

Nov 4, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

6. KyleG

KyleG Registered User

Nov 4, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most S/T Sonora Chime clocks have the words 'Sonora Chime' somewhere on the dial. The chime clocks using the rods never do. The Sonora's with bells are the more collectible IMHO.

7. Bill Steele

Bill Steele Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a 5 bell but the clock only utilizes 4 . It plays the melody on the 4 bells and strikes out the hour with all 4 hammers at the same time striking out the hour. Why would their be 5 bells ? On the face it says Baltimore Maryland and something else that I can not make out . Do you think that is why the strange set up ? I am baffled. Thanks Bill

8. Sevan

Sevan Registered User

Feb 26, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Im not sure why it has five bells but only plays four? I recently aquired a nice Seth Thomas tambour with a 124 movement. It plays Westminster on 4 of the rods and counts the hour on the fifth rod. The fifth rod has a distinctive sound unlike the others and sounds great, I like it alot!

9. mldenison

mldenison Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you have a 5 bell model, and the 5th bell isn't used, there were extra parts installed to hourly strike on the 5th bell. Just a way to jack up the retail price I suppose.

I have an 8 bell Sonora. I also have 9 bell Kieninger which used to be my favorite chimer. I now prefer the Sonora. The tonal quality is deeper and louder. My wife said, the first day she heard it, "You've got a new clock and the sound is beautiful".

10. Bill Steele

Bill Steele Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I can see that the 5th bell is bigger , so why would they go to the expense to put that extra bell in and it not be used ? Can the clock be modified somehow to utilize the 5th bell since its in the clock ? Thanks Bill

11. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    This thread discusses this issue.

12. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I's bet the most logical conclusion is that either there was a major miscommunication between the clock movement team and the chime movement team or that over the years, repairers married the wrong combinations when one of the movements was beyond repair.
    If you've ever seen a chime movement where the barrel bushing got too oblong letting the power out all at once, it's a huge mess.

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had not noticed this before, but it seems Kyle is correct. Therefore the chime bar type shouldn't be referred to as Sonora chimes, even though the movements are pretty much the same.