sonora chime

Andy Cole

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2000
I have a four bell sonora chime clock in the shop brought in after someone had tinkered with it. This chime movement is #90D. The pin drum is different than a #911 that I also have right now. I cannot make the chimes sound right any way that I have set it so far. I would like to know the proper startingpoint for the 1/4 hour chime sequence. Another thing i would like to know is the proper positioning for the nest of bells.Should they be in either ascending or descending order from the front of the clock? It looks like they may have also been tinkered with. The clock with the 911 movement has rods and they are not set up in ascending order.Any and all comments will be appreciated. Thanks, Andy

Andy Cole

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2000
I have a four bell sonora chime clock in the shop brought in after someone had tinkered with it. This chime movement is #90D. The pin drum is different than a #911 that I also have right now. I cannot make the chimes sound right any way that I have set it so far. I would like to know the proper startingpoint for the 1/4 hour chime sequence. Another thing i would like to know is the proper positioning for the nest of bells.Should they be in either ascending or descending order from the front of the clock? It looks like they may have also been tinkered with. The clock with the 911 movement has rods and they are not set up in ascending order.Any and all comments will be appreciated. Thanks, Andy

clocknut

Dec 12, 2003
farm1.static.flickr.com
Andy if you look at the chime drum and the wheel that attaches to it you well note that there is a punch mark on the chime drum shaft and a line on the wheel if you line these two marks up it should work unless some one has slipped the wheel on its collet.I believe the chime starts at the back of the clock and goes forward to the front of the clock on the quarter hour right down the row. I have worked on several of these but some times I go brain dead so if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.
Hope this helps ( I have one here in my home but it also has the chime rods.)

Joe Collins

Jan 3, 2004
Country
Region
Hi Andy,
The first quarter notes are decending in order, highest pitch to lowest. This sequence repeats as the last four notes of the 3/4 hour. I have a 119 movement with rods. (is yours possibly the same instead of 911?) The rods are not arranged in sequence but the pin barrel knows the sequence.
If you haven't looked at Steven Conover's book 'Chime Clock Repair' you might see if you can find a copy. He covers the movement pretty well. I found a copy in my local library.
Hope this helps.

Joe

Andy Cole

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2000
Pardon the error. Yes,I did mean 119 instead of 911.I appreciate the coments. This will help.However, I still do not know whether or not the bell stack has been mistakenly rearranged or not. It is obvious that it has been apart at some time.
Thanks again, Andy

lylepete

Feb 9, 2003
Illinois
Country
Region
Hi
Andy I'll have a look at my four bell tonight. I know my eight bell the bells are not in any order up or down I ran into the same problem with it fortunately trans book had the hammer sequice for the eight bell and from that I was able to put the bells back in the correct order . Trans book might have the hammer sequice for the four strike, it does for the eight bell. Does your hour strike strike on a single bell or all four bells?
William
William

jacks61fd

Jul 2, 2002
Ocala Florida
home.rr.com
Country
Region
The chime sequence on the bells for the first quater hour is 2-3-1-4. According to Trans book occasionally the 3& 4 hammers are reversed 2-4-1-3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HamiltonFan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre