Sonora Chime Mainspring and Barrel

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
I am working on a Seth Thomas Sonora clock and dealing with the chime mainspring for the first time. I have an Ollie Baker winder. Usually I hold the barrel with my hand to wind (unwind) a barrel mainspring, but Sonora chime mainspring is too strong. What is the usual process when dealing with such a mainspring? My largest mainspring holder (with U-shaped cutout) has an inner diameter of 2 1/8 inches - is that large enough to fit over this mainspring??

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Have you tried holding the barrel in your hand, or are you just cautious? I think with a glove on you could probably hold it. Or get someone to turn the handle while you hold it it two hands?

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
I did try hold the barrel in my hand. The force became too great for comfort - as I had many winds to go.

I have never used a hose clamp. Perhaps I should head out today to buy one. I hope my capture clamp is big enough.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I did try hold the barrel in my hand. The force became too great for comfort - as I had many winds to go.

I have never used a hose clamp. Perhaps I should head out today to buy one. I hope my capture clamp is big enough.
Just measure the barrell ID before you start. The hose clamp works great. Just be careful. They are dangerous.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
The hose clamp will work fine. I place the winder's holding wedge on the end with the screw, between the two lengths of metal strap. Placing it on the other end of the clamp may eventually open up the assembly and ruin the clamp.

Reactions: D.th.munroe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rackerdan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre