Sonora Chime Company clocks

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I don't know a lot about the Sonora Chime Company, but from what I've seen, their higher-end clocks fetch upward of $5000 at auction. So.... is a less fancy 4-bell clock in running condition, with a few bad places in the case worth $350? It looks complete and correct, right don to the on/off lever for the cimes on the side of the clock.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
If you look at the rules on posting on this site, you will see that we are not allowed to give or ask for estimates of value.

JTD

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Even if we were permitted to discuss the value of a clock, it would be almost impossible to do so accurately without actually having the clock to examine and doing considerable research. One can get a general idea about what similar clocks (not the actual clock you own) by checking http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/ and searching the completed listings of eBay auctions for similar clocks. These are auction prices which can vary greatly depending on the auction venue. The asking price in an antique shop may be considerably more but one never knows what the negotiated selling price may be.

Unless you are considering purchasing this clock as an "investment", how much you like it personally may be more important than what others have paid for similar clocks. If the clock's actual monetary market value is important to you, perhaps for insurance purposes, then you should be looking at replacement cost, not selling price. "a few bad places in the case" can have a major negative effect on "value". Case repairs are expensive, usually more expensive than mechanical repairs to the movement. Whether the clock runs or not is relatively unimportant. If the clock has been improperly repaired and/or original parts replaced with new reproduction parts this will negatively affect "value". Something as simple as whether the original label is present can affect "value".

Sorry that we can't answer your question based on the information provided even if the rules permitted. Hope this helps.

RC

Walt Wallgren

NAWCC Member
Aug 16, 2012
Bay Area, California
Country
Region
I don't know a lot about the Sonora Chime Company, but from what I've seen, their higher-end clocks fetch upward of $5000 at auction. So.... is a less fancy 4-bell clock in running condition, with a few bad places in the case worth $350? It looks complete and correct, right don to the on/off lever for the cimes on the side of the clock.
HI bikerclockguy,

First let me say welcome to the board. JTD is correct that we do not allow questions about value in these forums. There is, however, a forum below called Whats it worth that you can post and answer questions of value. If you are an NAWCC member, access to this forum is included in your membership. If not, there is a small fee for access. I would suggest joining the organization if you are not already a member and you will get access to a lot of other things as well.

Hope this helps,
Walt

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I knew it would be an impossible task to value a clock sight-unseen, and I wasn't looking for an estimate or value per se, but my apologies if I broke the rules. I found antiqueclockspriceguide.com to be pretty worthless. I had high hopes when i joined it, but they have very little information on the site, and nothing that isn't readily available online. You can punch "Seth Thomas Regulator #2" into the Google search window and instantly access past eBay auction prices, which is pretty much all they offer. I had hoped they would have prices posted from antique dealers and auctions around the country, but it's pretty much all eBay from what I saw. Doesn't look like it is updated often or that much work goes into it either. For example, they have no listing for a Sessions Wendell, which is a fairly common clock. I haven't checked, but I'd be willing to bet there are posts on this forum on that clock. I wouldn't go so far as to say my year's subscription was the worst $49 I ever spent, but strip joints are a bargain by comparison...

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
It does, and thanks Walt. If i remember right there is also supposed to be a parts trading forum somewhere on this site?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
the trading thread is at the top of this forum :). Ebay is a National (minimally) auction house. The prices you find there are usually what things are worth.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I would agree with eBay values being a good rule of thumb. It just got my goat to be charged fifty bucks for something that's readily available for free. You wont make too many friends referring people to Antique Clocks Price Guide :cool:

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
Country
Region
I would agree with eBay values being a good rule of thumb. It just got my goat to be charged fifty bucks for something that's readily available for free. You wont make too many friends referring people to Antique Clocks Price Guide :cool:
Sorry you feel that way about Antique Clocks Price Guide. I've found them to be very helpful in identifying and providing information on many of the clocks I own and service that couldn't be found elsewhere. Most of their information comes from large reputable auction houses like Horton's that specialize in selling stuff like this and believe these prices are more valid than what one finds on eBay. They list thousands of clocks, and frequently multiple examples of the same clock. True, the prices are not all dated today, which would be impossible. They are just one tool, eBay is another. That's why getting a professional appraisal can be expensive. It involves a lot of research and checking lots of sources and various "price guides". What a single clock sold for today in a given venue is only a part of the picture. Market trends over time are part of the picture, as well as examination of the originality and condition of the examples sold and the item being valued.

RC

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
Hmmm... that was the sort of information i was looking for, but didn't see. Maybe I'll browse some more.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
Country
Region
Hmmm... that was the sort of information i was looking for, but didn't see. Maybe I'll browse some more.
Antique Clocks Price Guide does not give a discussion of the basis of the selling price, just the auction listing comments for that individual item including obvious defects and missing parts, the auction house estimate, and the sold price. Its just one source of data that is especially helpful in identifying a clock. One additional point regarding eBay auction prices that is often overlooked is the shipping cost. If a particular clock sold for $160 and the shipping cost was $45, the cost to the buyer is $205. So one could argue that the 'value' of that clock to the buyer was $205. Had the shipping been free that buyer would likely have bid more than $160 on the auction. Because buyers are concerned with total purchase cost, the auction closing price may under value that clock. The venue where the item is sold is important and so is having a large number of examples to establish a price range for similar clocks in similar condition.

RC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aleksi peikrishvili
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff