Sonora Chime Click

robbglass

Feb 6, 2007
Visit site
I have a 5 bell Sonora. The click has twice flipped away ( disengaged ) from its ratchet wheel . I have replaced the taper pin behind the click - the first one didn't fully catch the flat return spring above it - and I have opened the angle the return spring to strengthen the click's return into the ratchet wheel. The "clicking" while winding sounds reassuringly crisp. The engaging tip of the click is quite sharp, though there is a very slight burr along the lower edge of the tip. The ratchet wheel is brass.

Apart from releasing the key at the very instant a "click" is heard ( when the click tip has just caught a ratchet tooth ), can anyone think of a reason why the click might jump out of being captured by its ratchet wheel teeth ?

Thanks !

Rob

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If memory serves, the click spring presses into the plate with two little feet to hold it in. If it has worn thin, it will jump out of the holes. Same if the holes are too big. You'll probably have to get one from a supplier and modify it to work. They come in three sizes, so you might as well order all three and use the best one. When the proper sized spring is driven into the holes it will stay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawasemi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry