Somewhat off topic question

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by John Echternach, Jan 19, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Echternach

John Echternach Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 27, 2003
    This question is not about a book but about an online resource. There is a website- "Savage and Polite's Antique Clock Identification and Price Guide."
    Does anyone know about this site and is it valid/accurate?

I should state that I am primarily interested in getting historicl data on particular clocks but am also interested in the value. Many people want to know the approximate value of there clock. This site is a little short on historical info. but is quick and every clock I look for I can find on this site.
    If I am on the wrong message board I apolgize and would gladly take this post to a different board if advised.

Thank you for your help. Sincerely, John #0159010

2. doc_fields

doc_fields Registered User

Sep 29, 2004
    Male
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Greentop, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Rick Alhadeff

Rick Alhadeff Registered User

Feb 11, 2004
    watch/clock service/repair
    Honolulu
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I subscribe to the site. I think they're pretty accurate cuz the prices are based on actual sales, both retail and auction. They are prices that people are willing to pay, not just what someone thinks the clock is worth. It's a good starting point anyway, IMHO. :cool:

4. Ansomnia

Ansomnia Registered User

Sep 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, soon after I bought my first clock I got myself a 1-month account on this database and it really did help me to get a decent idea on market prices for the clocks I was interested in.

It is not designed for historical information on the clocks themselves and indeed I have found a few of the clocks from the database to be of questionable authenticity but the database is only designed to record market information and is not expressly designed to authenticate the original sale or clocks in general.

For historical information, I would turn to the expert authors and museums that have experience with the specific clocks. I have found many books on clocks to be almost as delightful to experience as the clocks themselves. You cannot match the volume of information that a well-written book can deliver...and it's also a lot easier on the eyes. :D

Michael

5. Tony Ambruso

Tony Ambruso Registered User

Dec 2, 2005
    John, I also subscribe to this website. I find it useful for identifying a clock that is referenced without a picture. It provides a good start when researching a particular clock, especially if you don't have a book on the particular manufacturer of a clock you are hunting for. I have also used to for a brute force identification when I only knew what the clock looked like. It was a difficult search but fruitful. The price valuations are useful, but like all other valuations, they are not definitive. It can be an interesting and useful resource.

6. John Echternach

John Echternach Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 27, 2003
    I thank you all for your help and feedback about the website. Sincerely, John

7. tymfxr

tymfxr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 13, 2005
    buy, sell, restore, repair antique clocks since 19
    E. Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I too find it useful as a start in finding price ranges for clocks and also good for checking if your clock has all its parts/original or replaced.
    Mike C.
    aka
    clock whisperer

8. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    Don't forget the websites of the auction houses themselves. All the big ones (Sotheby's, Christie's, etc) as well as a growing list of smaller houses (I recently discovered Pook & Pook's) now have their own sites. Usually these do include historical data, though sometimes photos are absent, especially a few months after the auction. They are usually free. The houses that specialize in clocks, of course, are also a rich trove of data.
    Since this data is copyrighted, an independant site (like Antique Clock Priceguide) needs permission to republish it. This would not usually be forthcoming from the larger houses, nor, for various reasons, from many smaller houses. Therefore, a thorough job of value research requires accessing a number of sites.
    The two great advantages of appraising values via the bricks & mortar auction sites (as opposed to purely online sites like E-bay) are that someone other than the seller (hopefully, someone knowledgeable, and willing to acknowledge their own knowledgeability!) is writing the descriptions; and that (at least some of) the bidders have actually seen the merchandise. The bad part is that what they've seen isn't conveyed to the website browser.