• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Somewhat interesting looking Pendulum

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
Hello to all!
Two days ago I posted a photo in Your Newest Clock Acquisition section of this forum of a clock that I just received from a relative. Today I would like to post a picture of the pendulum that came with the clock. I was wondering if someone could tell me more about this type of pendulum? What is it called? And what do the numbers o through 99 that are on it mean? I hope the photo is clear enough. I just find the pendulum interesting, since none of my other clocks have this type. So far, I believe the clock itself is a New Haven Clock. Was this type of pendulum common on some New Haven Clocks? I would appreciate any knowledge that anyone can give me about this pendulum! I hope this is the correct section of this forum to post this! :)
2021-07-02 17.37.14.jpg

ChimeTime

NAWCC Member
May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
That is indeed interesting. Obviously, the needle is attached to a rack and pinion setup with the hanger rod. As you adjust the thumb screw under the bob, the needle gives a visual indication of bob movement up or down the hanger rod. Very unique.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Hello to all!
Two days ago I posted a photo in Your Newest Clock Acquisition section of this forum of a clock that I just received from a relative. Today I would like to post a picture of the pendulum that came with the clock. I was wondering if someone could tell me more about this type of pendulum? What is it called? And what do the numbers o through 99 that are on it mean? I hope the photo is clear enough. I just find the pendulum interesting, since none of my other clocks have this type. So far, I believe the clock itself is a New Haven Clock. Was this type of pendulum common on some New Haven Clocks? I would appreciate any knowledge that anyone can give me about this pendulum! I hope this is the correct section of this forum to post this! :) View attachment 661532
I have one on my 1885 Gilbert Altai
As said it gives a visual to adjusting fast and slow on the bob adjustment

Screenshot_20201220-114631_Chrome.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
These pendulums are not unusual.

When working, it really doesn't tell you anything new. Mainly it's just a selling feature. The buyer is impressed with all those meaningless fine graduations. :)

Advise, get rid of all those odd keys in the clock. Every clock needs just ONE good fitting key, anything else is just asking for trouble ...

Willie X

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
These pendulums are not unusual.

When working, it really doesn't tell you anything new. Mainly it's just a selling feature. The buyer is impressed with all those meaningless fine graduations. :)

Advise, get rid of all those odd keys in the clock. Every clock needs just ONE good fitting key, anything else is just asking for trouble ...

Willie X
Hi Willie,
Thank you for your reply. Thoes extra long keys actually go to an anniversary clock that I also got the same day from the same relative. And the smaller key goes to the clock with the pendulum. Yes, I plan to separate them :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lpgp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent