Sometimes

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Jun 17, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Sometimes, we who post on the Members News and Views are disappointed with the lack of response we get to our postings.

I just got a wonderful lesson in not to expect too much from the readers who take the time to open our postings. They will look and read our posts, but, the replies are few and far between.

Tom McIntyre recently posted a lot of Waltham literature with beautiful photos of the Waltham output of certain period watches. The watches and postings look like they were professionally done…that did not matter…his longtime work received only two replies to date, with 90 or more hits.

While this Forum has been the repository for postings by our members for nearly six years with over 250,000 hits, the postings and replies are far below what it should be considering the number of hits on this Forum. It points to the fact, that we have many readers, but, far less members who take the time to even reply with a thank you for your post; others who open this Forum, I understand do not have the ability to post a reply unless they are signed in NAWCC members.

No matter…some of us who do use this Forum to do posting, engage our minds, elderly or not, in the effort to put forth our views on subjects that are permitted to be exploited by our use of the English language. Often, our thoughts really do not engender a reply. We are just expressing what we feel and what is of interest to us at that moment of time.

This Forum was created exclusively for putting down our thoughts; when it comes to horologic material, explanations, pictures, and detailed information…we do have the proper Forums for those subjects.

In short…This Forum while useful for posting material other than of a horologic nature…has met its goal as an adjunct to the meeting place for members who desire to talk about whatever comes to mind…and is civil in nature, and not breaking any of the rules of our great National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

With over 250,000 hits…I cannot find the number of replies and the number of postings on this Members News and Views Forum…just recently, it showed as a Forum was opened.

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, just for a reference, how many times a week do you read the editorial page with someone else's opinion, how many times do you actually reply? I read just about every post but have my own interests, desires and cares and reply when I find the post interesting to me. I have posted requests for information that have been totally ignored as well. Don't get your hopes up that everyone will reply.

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Richiec:

I used to buy the Philadelphia Inquirer 3-4 times a week. Two weeks ago, it went from $1.00 to a $1.50, I can get the same or better news and editorials on my computer. So no more buying the Inquirer for me. It all comes down to "what we think."

4. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,
    Richie's point is still valid. You undoubtedly read a great deal on the computer. How much of what you read do you take the time to respond to? I'm sure the answer is "very little". Yet, I also imagine you find a great deal of what you read interesting. This message board is no different. Just because people don't respond doesn't mean they don't find what they read interesting. You should stop equating response level to interest level. It just isn't valid.

You enjoy writing. The members enjoy reading what you write as evidenced by the consistent hit rate on your posts. Be satisfied with that. It's a position that many writers would envy.

5. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Much clearer than what I said, Dave. Please don't take offense, Dan. I read most of your stuff and enjoy it. I am a cat person as well so understand about your passion.

6. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,

Statistics on this MB tell a story. You have a total of 2,207 posts on the MB, 1,632 of the on the Member's News and Views forum. Your next favourite forum is American Pocket watches on which you have 261 posts. There are 14 forums on which you have less than 10 posts. This indicates to me that you don't differ much from the rest of us. You have your areas of interest, so that is where you post. I don't have any statistics which indicate the number of threads initiated by others, to which you have replied.

On the tenth anniversary of the inception of the Watch Repair forum on this MB, I initiated a thread which spoke of my being involved in the formation of that forum, and that I moderated that forum for five years. I didn't get one solitary reply to that post, from anyone! This sort of thing is a fact of life!

7. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Doug:

Thank you for your post. It gives me a lot of fodder to write about from the time I became a member of this horologic organization. It was a time when still a few of our Founders who started this behemoth of horologic intensity were still alive and I was fortunate enough to know and converse with and break bread with them.

Do you realize no one knew who our Founders were...until I payed for a Founders Plaque that now hangs on the walls of our Columbia Museum. Markus Harris did the research at my request, and sent me the 52 names of the Officers and members who created the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

Sadly, the names of so many fine men and women are missing from the REAL history of its founding and in later years...the efforts of men who helped make this horologic society one of the leading Museums in North America and more than likely in all the world.

I can name names but that may come when I put my thoughts together in a more lucid manner, and describe my years and the friends I made [along with my horologic discoveries] during my more than 51 years as a devoted member of this great NAWCC; that lacks greatly in honoring those that devoted their lifetimes and often funding to this all-encompassing hobby of horology.

Dan