Sometimes, It's Best Not To Know

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by GeneJockey, Apr 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Scientist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've had a Hamilton 992E for about 25 years. When I got it, I had it serviced by my then-Watch Guy, and then again about 10 years later. I never carried it much, and one reason was it was really hard to wind after the second service, plus I wasn't into pocket watches then. Mostly, it sat, unused.

Fast forward to today. I decided I wanted to deal with its winding issues, now that I've become at least moderately competent in simple watch servicing.

As I'm taking it down, I discover the upper balance hole jewel is cracked. Bummer. Oh, well. I can get one of those.

Then I take out the barrel, and although there are two slots, one in the barrel and one in the cap, the ends of the mainspring brace aren't in them. Instead, 180 degrees away, there's what looks like a T-end. I take it out and sure enough, that's what it is.

[​IMG]

That doesn't seem right. Should double brace, right, not T-end?

Then, as I was inspecting the balance, the shape of the hairspring seems odd for a Hamilton.

[​IMG]

I was expecting a single curve, rather than a double bend, and smaller inside curve. Is this right for a 992/992E?

Then came the REALLY bad news. I flipped it over, and the roller table looks like COPPER, rather than steel as I expected, and worse of all, the roller jewel is not a jewel at all, but appears to be a BRASS PIN! What the heck??

[​IMG]

I don't have a genuine 992 roller table to replace this thing with, nor do I have a roller jewel or even any way to install it. I'm thinking it's off to a professional. Grrrr...

2. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    My experience with 16s Hamiltons is that the mainsprings are a "T" end, not a double brace. It appears that the spring was not installed properly. Reinstall it with the "T" end in the holes

As for the double roller, I believe that it is nickel plated brass, not steel.

Tom

3. ben_hutcherson

ben_hutcherson Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemistry Graduate Student
    Kentucky
    Region Flag:
    Doug,

I don't remember anything about 992Es offhand, but I know that the 992B uses a phosphor bronze roller table and the roller jewel is held in without shellac. Many Walthams used this arrangement also.

4. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Scientist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, it turns out that the 992E also used a bronze roller table, so THAT'S okay. But the brass pin in place of a roller jewel? That's got to go. I just hope whoever put that in didn't mess up the hole. Hmmm. Time to get a roller heater thingie.

And I have to get a new upper balance hole jewel, but that's easy.

5. beepilot

beepilot Registered User

Nov 22, 2016
    Country Flag:
    My 1926 992 has a bronze roller table and a steel safety roller so I would think your roller is correct. Obviously the brass pin is not.