Some Jerome clocks for viewing

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Jerome collector, Mar 8, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Finally got around to doing a simple website with some of the clocks in my collection. Feel free to browse and to comment. I have also noticed the worthy effort by kirxclox to promote a collectors' gallery. Impressive work.

My site is at: http://home.earthlink.net/~mmbailey39/

2. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Rollerpen

Rollerpen Registered User

Jul 7, 2006
    Washington
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice collection Mike. This would be a good sized collection for most of us, yet you say "some". How many clocks are in your collection? They all look great.

4. fume happy

fume happy Registered User

Mar 31, 2005
    Computers
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Excellent site Mike!!! Glad I could finally see some of your examples :)

5. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rollerpen and fume happy,
    Thanks. I ended up getting more of my clocks posted than I thought I would, so I should have said "most" of my clocks. I have a handful more still packed away in a closet after our move last summer.

6. Sam,
    Again thanks for all your efforts, work and patience. We really need to keep this at the top of this MB to keep it active.

Mike (Jerome Collector),
    A nice site in deed... There is also a special spot in my collection for Jerome and associates. Yours would make a nice addition to the kirxclox's "Clocks, A Collector's Gallery"

Here is a link to mine.>> http://picasaweb.google.com/rvtyme/Jerome

7. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ClockJim,

I hope to be able to get around to contributing to the kirxclox website.

I liked your site (Jerome section plus the others). Very eclectic collection. The Jerome patent case clock shows off very nicely. Don't know what it is about them, but they're pleasing to the eye.

Mike

8. Patricia Jones

Patricia Jones Registered User

Apr 6, 2004
    Mike
    I enjoyed your collection. I am especially interested in your US Clock Co. of Illinois example.
    Do you have any literature giving more information on that company? I would be interested in a catalog since I've only found a catalog on a firm in New York City. I own a small walnut mantle clock with a US Clock Co of Illinois movement and would appreciate more information on it. The case has a very classic design that seems appropriate for Jerome's influence.

Thanks again,
    Pattye

9. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pattye,

The most comprehensive source of info on the US Clock & Brass Co (and it isn't much) that I know of is Chris Bailey's "From Rags to Riches to Rags: The Story of Chauncey Jerome" (NAWCC Bulletin Supplement #15, Spring 1986). Chris shows an example of a walnut mantle clock made by the firm, plus a steeple clock and an OG. It would be neat if the walnut clock matches your clock. Jerome's autobiography also contains some info. I'm not aware of any other sources, but I also haven't spent too much time on the latter part of Jerome's career. Hope this helps.

Mike

10. Patricia Jones

Apr 6, 2004
    Thanks, Mike,
    I have read the Bailey article. I wish there was more information about the later years.
    I am posting a photo of my clock. It was bought in northwestern KY near the Illinois border and belonged to my dad.
    Obviously, it needs a more authentic tablet (has a decal) and dial. I would love to restore it to as near original as possible.
    Thanks again,
    Pattye

Attached Files:

• 141.jpg
      File size:
      104.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Patricia Jones

Apr 6, 2004
    Thanks, Jim, I also enjoyed reviewing your Jerome clocks.

Earlier this year I posted a photo of a Mother-of-Pearl-decorated cottage- style clock on a thread entitled "Re:Chauncy Jerome?"

Although the case contains a Seth Thomas movement, there are several examples of Jerome clocks on the Savage identification site which are very similar. I question the authenticity of the ST movement and wonder what a proper Jerome movement would be. Do you have photos of the Jerome movements in your cottage clocks? I would certainly like to see them, if so.

Thanks
    Pattye

Attached Files:

• 145.jpg
      File size:
      106.5 KB
      Views:
  12. ClocksCollector

ClocksCollector Registered User

Aug 14, 2005
    My little Jerome beauty; a C. Jerome "mantel lever" 30 hour timepiece with rosewood case that was illustrated in Jerome's 1853 catalog. Height is 10 inches. Dial restored by the Dial House.

Attached Files:

13. ClocksCollector

Aug 14, 2005
    This is the movement in the C. Jerome mantel lever.

Attached Files:

14. ClocksCollector

Aug 14, 2005
    This is a S B Jerome movement in a gallery clock with alarm.

Attached Files:

15. ClocksCollector

Aug 14, 2005
    Mistake in posting. This is the mantel lever movement.

16. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clocks!

17. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sooth,
    Nice webpage. From previous postings, though, I would have expected to see some wood works clocks in your collection. I saw some in your photobucket section but not your personal collection. What's the distinction between the two sections?
    Mike

18. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike, you are probably not the only one wondering the same thing.

Basically, it's partially "on purpose" and partially laziness. I haven't updated my website very much, but basically I tend to only put up the photos of the finished, restored clocks that I have in good running order. Otherwise I usually have them up on the "coming soon" page.

I TECHNICALLY have 4 wooden works clocks. I have a Chauncey Boardman Ogee clock, I have the Boardman & Wells, which still needs a painted tablet, and the proper movement, I have a Samuel Terry which needs a bit of work on the movement, and a tablet, and then I have a Seth Thomas wooden works (half column & splat) case that I'm working on. That clock is similar to the Boardman & Wells, where I have just a ratty old case, and I'm making the missing parts for it. I did get a half-decent dial for it, but I still need a movement.

19. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Some recent Jerome pick ups.

The stenciled clock is a WW Jerome & Darrow, the other two are Jeromes.

Ralph

Attached Files:

20. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ralph, are these your clocks? Do you have access to them? If so, would it be possible to get a closeup photo of the wooden works tablet, and possibly dimensions of the "boxy" style one.

21. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my contribution to Jerome clocks. This is a miniature 17" tall weight driven 30hour time only clock. The movement is just half a standard Jerome OG movement. It has a very rare label from New York City. The decoration between the outer moulding and the door is pressed paper.

Attached Files:

22. Patricia Jones

Apr 6, 2004
    Here is an update for the reply and photo I had posted on this thread.

Today I have found a photo matching my clock which had intact labeling.
    The clock is Manufactured by United States Clock Co., Henry Terhune & Co., 3 Cortland St., N.Y.
    The name is Florence. It is an 8 day, walnut clock.

Does any else have any information about this maker and approximate date of manufacturer?

Thanks
    Pattye

Attached Files:

• 141.jpg
      File size:
      190 KB
      Views:
  23. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pattye, Spittlers' and Bailey's American Clockmakers and Watchmakers has this to say:
    "United States Clock Co.: New York, NY. Ca 1872. Listed at 18 Cortlandt Street. Made fine floor and wall regulators, some with multiple dials. Also produced various styles of common wood and iron cased shelf clocks. Trademark has US Clock Co. with US intertwined. Clocks were often sold by Terhune and Edwards of New York City."
    Not much info. But it does give you a date.

24. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Posted elsewhere on a different thread; worth posting again. Similar to one of Ralph's; tablet may not be original and a previous owner covered the rather nice label with plexiglas, which I am fearful of removing lest the label come with it. It would not be too annoying except that the time side weight catches on the top edge and stops. I have to shim the clock forward a bit.

25. about_time

about_time Registered User

Sep 11, 2008
    Jack of all trades (self employed)
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Mike,

Nice collection of clocks you have there! I had posted an inquiry earlier this morning about a C. Jerome 30 Hr. /weight movement that I have, and lo and behold, I found the movement in your photos of the Waterbury Square Rose clock. I was beginning to wonder if Jerome had maybe made the movement sometime after the demise of his business when he was doing some work for other companies. Guess you answered my question! Thanx.

Dave M.

Attached Files:

26. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave,
    Glad I could help. I take yours is a loose movement? If cased, what style?
    Mike

27. iowaclock

iowaclock Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Quick Question, On the Jerome Chauncey Austin, ILL. labels, how long did they make clocks(they had a factory fire right?)?

Does anyone know how many clocks were made with the label?

Thanks

28. Ray Brown

Ray Brown Registered User

Oct 24, 2004
    Pattye, Here is some additional info. Terhune & Botsford and Terhune and Edwards had various addresses on Cortlandt St. Hope this helps some.

From New York Times 12 July 1881

Failure of an Old Clock House
    H. Terhune & Son, wholesale dealers in clocks at No. 25 Murray street, have failed. The business was established over 30 years, and the firm was one of the leading houses in the jobbing trade. The failure was a surprise to the trade, as the firm was believed to be doing a successful business. The original firm was Terhune & Botsford who dissolved in 1855, being succeeded by Terhune & Edwards, who continued for a number of years, when they dissolved, and the present firm was formed nine years ago. The failure is attributed to bad debts and depreciation. The liabilities are reported at $25,000, while the actual value of the assets will probably not exceed $13,000. It is said that they propose a compromise at 25 cents on the dollar, in notes at one, two , three, and four months, and a meeting will be held shortly to consider the matter.

29. Patricia Jones

Apr 6, 2004
    Ray,
    What great information! Thanks for sharing it! I presume from all bits and pieces of information that United States Clock Company was the maker and Terhune and Edwards sold the clocks, much the same as the American Clock Company, also of Cortland Street.

I now presume that Jerome's tenure in Illinois has nothing to do with my clock. Dad had identified it as US Clock Co of Illinois but the movement is clearly marked US Clock Co. with a superimposed U and S as the New York firm did.

It is wonderful to finally identify my clock.

Thanks again,
    Pattye

30. about_time

about_time Registered User

Sep 11, 2008
    Jack of all trades (self employed)
    St. Paul, MN
    You are right; it is a loose movement that I picked up off of eBay to put into a decent OG case I picked up at an auction. (It's actually a New Haven 30 hr case with quartz chime movement). I believe the case to be late 1850's or early 1860's. Just an odd-ball marriage, but at least the time frame is about right. I just generally pick up clocks destined for the scrap heap and 'resurrect' them. Usually make my own replacement parts. Spend a lot more time on them than what they're worth monetarily, but heck, saving a little history! Besides, it keeps me out of trouble.
    Have fun! (I do.)
    Dave

31. Dave Heise

Dave Heise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Male
    Retired - self-employed service provider for medic
    Timonium (just North of Baltimore) MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I submit my Chauncey Jerome Ogee........I replaced the bottom tablet, which was nothing more than a mirror when I purchased it, with a stock replacement from Merritt's. Some dial condition problems but a good clock nonetheless........

Attached Files:

32. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris Bailey (From Rags to Riches to Rags: The Story of Chauncey Jerome) believes the US Clock & Brass Co existed for less than a year (1866-67). CB doesn't mention a fire, so it's not clear to me whether the company failed due to a poor business model or a disaster (like a fire). Absent a daybook, I doubt there's any way to determine how many clocks they made with either the USC&B Co label or the CJ label. My guess is fewer of the CJ labels than the USC&B Co labels, with total production measured in the thousands to tens of thousands. Clocks with one label or the other appear occasionally on eBay, but I wouldn't consider them common.

33. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave,
    Any chance you can post images of the label and movement? I'm cataloguing examples in hopes of providing a chronology of Jerome labels.
    Mike
    PS - I used to live in Towson. Wouldn't mind returning someday.

34. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    With all due respect to the interests of other MB participants, there seems to be precious little interest in pre-20th century clocks and that are of American manufacture, an interest that hopefully a few of us may still share.

In that context, I believe there are some good now dormant threads that are worthy of revival and to which new postings should be added. Over 2 years ago, Jerome collector started this thread. In my opinion, this is certainly one of those worthy of resuscitation. Some nice clocks are posted upon it.

I do this entirely on my own and I am expressing ONLY my own opinions here. Direct any criticism to me alone. Let me assure everyone I am not "anti" anything.

In anticipation of future postings that I and hopefully others will contribute, I would like to do some consolidation by posting links to previous threads that in whole or in part had interesting Jerome clocks on them rather than repeating previous postings. They are in no particular order other than as they popped into my rather thick disorganised head. Feel free to add your own.

Check out this link for a nice discussion of the Jerome "plastic" cases:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=62696

Chauncey Jerome in Illinois:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=29074

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=63823

A great early solid wheel Jerome clock:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=60623

This thread is not Jerome specific, but is liberally sprinkled with Jerome fusee clocks:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=59464

I'm sure there's more that I'm leaving out.

RM

35. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to RM for bringing back this thread. I'm going to put a link to it in the sticky at the top of this forum. It is my hope that we can put together a collection of pictures of Jerome Clocks (not NH-type Jerome & Co., but echt Chauncey himself, or his "lesser" relatives, such as brother Noble). It may prove to be important. In that regard, may I recommend that those who have posted links to their collections ensure either that the links are still correct or post the pictures directly here to ensure their continuity. External links have a way of changing.

36. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the "sticky". Jerome did more to revolutionize the clock industry world wide than anyone, IMHO.

A few more Jerome llinks of interest in rather random order.

An early Jerome ogee with a brass dial:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=62623&highlight=jerome

For a rare Jerome "thin movement" wooden works:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=53211&highlight=jerome

Chronology of Jerome and Co:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=55204&highlight=jerome

Another attempt to get folks to post their Jeromes:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=44675&highlight=jerome

More about Jerome "plastic" cases:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=41281&highlight=jerome

SB Jerome:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=5088&highlight=jerome&page=2

RM

37. specop

specop Registered User

May 8, 2003
    Sheep Farmer
    Wales
    Mike,
    A great collection and website. Your fame spreads internationally as I have copied the link to all the avid American collectors in UK. As you know Jerome was instrumental in setting up the export trade and I have owned, and still have some, of his clocks.
    One point, unless I missed something, I didn't see any of Jerome's many fusee driven clocks amongst your collection, but imagine that you must have some tucked away?

Specop

38. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Specop,
    Appreciate the kind words about my collection. As for fusees, I have only one, and I haven't gotten around to taking digital images of it. I have conventional photos from years ago and am trying (slowly, unfortunately) to update my photo library with digital images. The fusee is a 30-hr steeple. I'm on vacation in New Hampshire right now. When I return to Omaha, I'll see what I can do about posting images of the clock.

I'm curious about the exported Jeromes you have or once had. In particular whether they were labeled "Jerome & Co." or "Chauncey Jerome." Another project I'm working on (again, slowly) is a catalog of labels using the Jerome name in clocks with 30-hr, weight-driven movements. If you have images to share, I'd love to see them.
    Mike

39. specop

specop Registered User

May 8, 2003
    Sheep Farmer
    Wales
    There are many Chauncey Jerome clocks in UK, after all it was he who opened up the export trade. Some have the rarer Bristol label, most have New Haven. When his business failed around 1850 and was taken over by the New Haven Clock Co. they continued to export using the Jerome & Co. label, probably capitalising on Chauncey's name. These labels are very common in UK while New Haven Clock Co. labels are scarce.
    I came across a Chauncey Jerome fusee clock a few weeks back which was missing its seatboard and lower glass. As it was a fusee clock it was worth restoring and this has been done. I attach pictures which are a little dark I'm afraid.

Specop

Attached Files:

40. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Nice Jerome clock with calling card label. If I remember correctly, in this model, the fusee is actually on the white metal winding drums of the movement. Jerome also placed a movement in similar cases with detached wooden fusees mounted in a wood and metal frame below the movement.

For other examples of Jerome fusee clocks in full size "empire" cases, use the link below to American fusee clocks. Don't remember what page they're on.

Also see Chris Bailey's bulletin supplement, Rags to Riches to Rags for more about these clocks and info re:his trade with the UK and a reproduction of his 1850's trade catalog.

RM

41. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Wish to share a Jerome miniature time and strike weight driven clock for the what seems to be the pitiful few on the MB who might be interested.

The case is rosewood and rosewood veneered. Note the flat pilasters flanking the divided door with "bulls eye" corner blocks above and below them. This type of corner block was often used in the architectural wood work of homes of the period of this clock and was used as a decorative element on clock cases, mirrors, etc as well. Note the dimensions are 20 5/8 inches tall by 12 1/4 inches wide by 4 inches deeped. The door retains both its original upper clear glass and mirror tablet below.

The original white painted metal dial with raised chaper ring, large central opening, painted black Roman numerals is signed with a stamp "Made by C. Jerome Brisol CT USA" in an arch above the central opening surrounded by a stellate boarder. Not the "incomplete" winding holes in the dial. The hour hand is original. The minute hand is, well, crap, and I haven't gotten around to changing it in the > 15 years I've owned the clock.

Pasted to the inner surface of the back board is a printed paper label as shown.

The 30 hour weight driven time and strike movement mounted on a seat board with an upper retaining block is, I think, quite interesting. Given the dimensions of the case, this is a MINIATURE weight driven clock. Note solid escape wheel. The front plate is rolled brass and is signed "Made by C. Jerome/Bristol Conn/USA". As per Chris Bailey, the back plate is wrought steel with brass bushings.

For more information about these clocks, please see Bailey's Rags to Riches to Rags supplement which has been referred to innumerable times (frankly, if you have any interest in American clocks, there's no excuse not to own this Bulletin supplement), pages 70-1, figures 137-40. Note the difference in the dial between this clock and that illustrated. Comparing notes with other collectors, these clocks came with the dial on this clock or that illustrated.

RM

Attached Files:

42. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess I'm one of the "pitiful few." I think it's a wonderful clock. The "made by" stamp must have been for a larger dial--makes sense if this is a miniature. Did this model follow the Chauncey/Noble Jerome ogee clock?

43. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought I'd post this one again here, along with views of the movement and dial. The movement is signed "Chauncey Jerome / New Haven, Conn / USA" and the dial is signed "C. Jerome." I believe this dates the clock to the early 1850's, after Jerome left Bristol but before bankruptcy and takeover by New Haven CC. The case front is a pressed, molded material, whether the sawdust and shellac formulation patented by S. Peck, early hard rubber, or something else, I don't know.

Also shown from Tran's Waterbury book are images of two Waterbury clocks from their 1893 catalog--the "Neptune" and the "Navarro." These are exactly the same case as my Jerome, except that they are metal cases, and one has a bit of extra ornament on top and the other has a figure on top. There was a discussion somewhere about Chauncey's relationship to the Waterbury Clock Co., and at first I thought that might explain how Waterbury got this case pattern. However, if the clock didn't appear in Waterbury's catalog till around 1893, that would be long after Jerome's association with the firm.

Attached Files:

44. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    That is a nice one, Jeremy. Something different.:thumb: Interesting that Waterbury resurrected the case style 40 years later.

45. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind comment, from one of the "pitiful few" to another.

Yes, this clock comes after the basic ogee (the ogee's "basicness" and simplicity made it revolutionary).

This little clock dates from 1844 or 5 and apparently was not made for a very long time.

Your observation about the dial stamp is in fact right on target. I've seen standard size dials with the same mark.

RM

46. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I just remembered there is a very good Bulletin article by Dr. Taylor on these miniature weight driven clocks. What's that I said about things popping into my head randomly?

See:

http://nawcc.org/images/stories/1980/articles/1984/232/232_531a.pdf

Specifically see pages 533-5, figures 3a-4c.

There is a nice discussion of the features of this movement which is designated type 2.1. One thing to note. Dr. Taylor says that the back plate is sheet iron and without bushings. This is different than what Bailey reports on both counts. Frankly, iron (I vote for cast) makes more sense than steel given the technology of the time and how ubiquitous cast iron had become for applications from clocks to bridges to building fronts and even furniture.

The example shown in figure 4a has the dial that my clock has. Dr. Taylor also discusses the 2 styles of printed name found on these dials, and to drive home a point made earlier by Jeremy, and I quote from the article,

"Two sytles of the printed name have been observed. One form greatly follows the the arc of the dial. The other does not and appears to have been intended for a larger dial..."

Take a look, it's a good read with some interesting movements shown.

Remember, must be logged on and an NAWCC member to use the link.

RM

47. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #48 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    Time for another Jerome clock.

The front of this clock is pine with flat pilasters with square corner blocks above and below the pilasters. Note that the front and door are faux painted to resemble what I believe was called "Egyptian Marble", ie, black marble with variegated graining which was used in the period of this clock for mantels and table tops. The sides of the clock are mahogany veneer on pine. The case is 24 3/4 inches tall making it smaller than a standard ogee.

The glazed divided door has an original upper glass and an original Fenn monochromatic patriotic glass below.

The inner lower back board has a printed paper label as shown.

The original white painted wood dial is unsigned and has black painted Roman numerals and raised gilt gesso decoration.

The original seat board mounted brass time and strike 30 hour weight driven unsigned movement looks like pretty standard issue Jerome.

A similar clock is shown in Horology Americana by Dworetsky and Dickstein, page 152. That particular example has a signed polychrome decorated wood dial without the large central opening.

This clock was one of the most unusual acquisitions I have made.

Before ebay really took off and just prior to the age of digital photos and routine email, I saw a picture of this clock in the advertising section for an upcoming NYS show in a major antiques publication. I tracked down the Albany area dealer (pre-Google), called her, and expressed my interest in purchasing the clock. She named her price, didn't know or care if it was original or not as she was a dealer in painted furniture and was selling as that. I agreed to her price and asked her to ship it to me. She refused, saying that it was too fragile. She asked if I was going to the show in upstate NY. I said I couldn't get time off from work but would be coming in August (the show was in May) for the ESR. She said it was no problem, she liked the clock, wouldn't mind holding it, I should call her when I was in the area.

I called her a few times in the interim. At first I got the sense she was annoyed I kept calling her, but eventually won her over as we had many mutual interests in antiques and folk art. No worries, she was holding the clock for me.

Before setting out for Syracuse, I called her to see if I could come by on my way there. No she said, she was busy doing shows along Route 20 in the Madison-Bouckville area, she wasn't going to bring the clock for me as she was concerned it might be damaged in her van, and I should contact her to set up a meeting time on my way home on Sunday.

Well, to make a short story long, I was awakened by the telephone in my hotel room 7 AM Sunday. It was her saying that she forgot it was her husband's birthday and in an hour they were leaving for VT. I told her I couldn't make it to the Albany area by then. I expressed disappointment and said maybe next year. She then said that she would leave the clock in her unlocked van in the driveway. If I bought the clock, just send her the check. If not, lock it up the van with the clock inside.

I expressed concern that her neighbors might call the police if they saw a car with out of state plates pull into her driveway and remove something from her van. She dismissed this. I also said if I got there and the clock was gone, well that could be a sticky situation. She said that I shouldn't worry, no one would trespass on her property, and I would see why.

Close to noon I arrived at her home. No one in their right mind would trespass. A latern in front of her home had turned into a massive hornet's nest. The place was swarming with vespids warmed by the noon sun. With hornets swarming around, I retrieved the clock and slipped the check under her front door.

Except for a telephone call the next day to confirm her receipt of the check, I have had no further contact with this dealer, nor would I know her if I saw her.

Ah, the pursuit of clocks pre-ebay.

RM

Attached Files:

48. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RM, that's one of the best clock acquisition stories I've ever heard. And the clock itself is spectacular! It's amazing that the marbleized surface has survived so well. The stencil looks like a reversal of the usual figure-ground, and the effect is wonderful. Is the ground frosted or a solid paint?

49. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind comments.

The ground is solid paint.

RM