Some info about Gustav Becker clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by baubau, May 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. baubau

baubau Registered User

Dec 28, 2011
    Hi.I've recently bought a Gustav Becker clock.Serial number 1548912.The weights are replaced (now have 1 bigger and 1 smaller).It would be very interesting to get more information about the clock and ideas about the original weights (size and weight).Also the clock doesn't have the key. Any info about it would be genuinely appreciated.

2. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Weights should have dimensions ca 4 x 10,5 cm, weight about 1360 - 1400 grams. You need the crank, not a key.
    Clock was made in 1901.

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. baubau

baubau Registered User

Dec 28, 2011
    Thank you very much for your response but I don't know the crank size.How can I find it size? thanks

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 John Hubby, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    You can find the crank size needed in millimeters by measuring the width across the flats at the end of the winding posts using a caliper or even a small rule to estimate the width. Add about 0.3 mm to the result to allow for the taper of the square section and then look for the correct size in a supplier catalog. They list cranks and keys in mm as per this page from Timesavers.