• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Some early stemwind Swiss watch...

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
Cased in English silver case.
No signatures on the movement, none under the dial.
I have not removed the dial yet, so no pic, but the previous owner searched for signatures there - there are none.

The watch looks to be of pretty high quality.
No way to identify it, though...

152278C4-C83A-440E-B622-057BB3C231A6.jpeg

7351FB62-47D3-4A70-85CE-AD4EEF4D48D5.jpeg

897954FC-1588-440C-B8DC-D4F5E5D2DF87.jpeg

The movement is in bad condition, but runs.
The soldered hairspring kinda made my day...
I will service this one ASAP and show the internal parts...

Last edited:
Reactions: John Arrowood

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
Oh, thanks... one thing is.. what is that?
You know me - I prefer a damaged rare watch to a nice common watch, but this one looks 'inviting', makes me curious and yet - no signatures...

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Paul,

What makes you think this is an English case?

Regards,

Graham

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
Hi Paul,

What makes you think this is an English case?

Regards,

Graham
Sorry - the ‚fine silver’ mark was used for English market, but yes, I thought this is a Swiss case for that destination. I realized later I was not precise, but did not correct that.

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
Dial plate markings...

AB0F9846-DEE2-4B2F-9055-7811086496CE.jpeg

To be perfectly frank - not a good watch...

Will post more pics tomorrow... or the day after...

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
OK - show time...
On disassembling I discovered something that put me off... the (obviously non origial) dial feet were (both!) glued on with super glue.

One has signs of resoldering, but eventually both were glued on.

In the first place I can't understand how did someone break them off?
I mean - the way they are attached is so terribly obvious, that I just can't get how could anyone just pry the dial off?

Sometimes a movement has such unusual solutions that I can understand someone got confused (like the broken stem in USWCo 'dome models'), but this? No way!

Anyway - the enamel at 8 o'clock was already destrotyed so screw it, I just removed it and riveted a foot, while the other I tried to attach 'elegantly', but working on the hole I made a chip a 2 o'clock anyway...

At that point I wanted to put the watch to 'parts' bin, but I attahced the feet and went on.

IMG_5901.JPG

The 'worse' one went a tad off centre while riveting, sadly.

As for the movement - all of you have already noticed the nicely finished 'wolf teeth' winding gears, quite neatly finished.

IMG_5902.JPG

And that's all about this movement.
The rest of it is just nothing more than a very standard Swiss watch of the time.
No worse, no better.

Yes - I know the clutch gear is assembled incorrectly, I corrected tha later...

IMG_5908.JPG

In terms of quality - it's a typical 15j mid grade.
Not very bad, at least not before all the repairs it had underwent in the past.
Today it's in bad shape, a ruin to be perfectly frank...

Under the dial there are numbers.. 5969 and case number - all original then.

Swiss lever escapement with what seems to be a nickel plated brass pallet fork..

IMG_5914.JPG

The balance is bi-metallic but not cut, the roller table is... soldered ( :O ) to the staff...
The hairspring soldered together... all bad...

After assembling the movemet works, but weakly, and I suppose it might need a new mainspring...
Or maybe it's just plain bad.

The dial is off centre, but within the 'far' limit, with enough clearance for all hands..

IMG_5927.JPG

The qualty od my dial repair makes me sick.
Really all the jou flew away and now I have just another piece of crap.

All in all - a KINDA interesting watch, but definitely nothing special.
It only pretends to be top notch, but it's ike attaching Bentley wheels to a FIAT...

Not like I have anything against FIATs - one of the nices cars I ever had ;)
But... nothing extraordinary, at all.

John Arrowood

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
Ah, FIAT--fix it again Tony. Worst car I ever had. Bought a new red `124 roadster in 1977. Engine blew in a couple months, seems that some of the crankshaft bolts were improperly installed it was in shop for a couple months while the repair was done, belly pan under the engine had to be removed to change oil filter and of course the technician didn't put all the bolts holding it back so pan started flopping about and at 30,000 mile service one cylinder had about 70% of its power. Paint didn't last and trim pieces kept falling off inside door, frame of vent window rusted etc etc. It was fun to drive but i went back to a Toyota Celica.