some clocks on display

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Burkhard Rasch, Jul 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    a friend of mine,a retired teacher for maths and physic,developed making glass pictures as a hobby after his retirement.He accomplished exellent results with the old technique using lead strips and thick stained glass;the first was his wedding present to us after we realized that between my birthday and my wife´s is the same span of days as between his and his wife s,mine being in May,my wife´s in June , his wife´s in August and his in September.
    He passed away 4 years ago,his wife more than one year. Finaly I have found the time to arrange the pictures Ì inherited from him in the window of my "clock room" and I do love to look at them on a sunny summer evening like todays when the clocks turn around together with the "light-mills" before the geen background of our garden.All pics do have an allusion to some thing,obviously the first has as said;I invite You to speculate about the others.
    Enjoy!
    Burkhard

DSCN4538.JPG DSCN4542.JPG DSCN4529.JPG DSCN4530.JPG DSCN4533.JPG DSCN4534.JPG

Forgot:from left to right:Huber,Schatz spring 3rd wheel,KundO,SuP,Würthner moon,JUF lunar,KomA transparent,Hermle,Kaiser,Kern&Link for Kienzle.

PatH likes this.
  2. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Burkhard,
    I am attracted to the old 400 day clocks on multiple levels: they amaze me in their engineering of a time gone by, their aesthetics, and they serve a purpose. I think you can see the same in your friend's art anad as a testiment to your friendship.,

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice collection and display. Back in another lifetime, I also did stained glass. It takes its own special tools and place to do the work...much like working on clocks!

Kurt

4. Keith Conklin

Keith Conklin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Male
    Selden, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing these. Your friend was fortunate for having known you, because in sharing these delightful works of art, I feel like you allow us to know something about him and in that way he kind of lives on.

5. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thanks for all comments and remarks , realy appreciated! Anyone with more knowledge of maths can explain the second from left picture?
    It has a mathematical meaning,but I´ve never been good at that in school , and my friend didn´t have the time to explain to me.TIA
    Burkhard

6. Keith Conklin

Keith Conklin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Male
    Selden, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One makes me think of a Fibonacci spiral.

220px--GoldenSpiralLogarithmic_color_in.webm.jpg

7. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    an other friend of mine said the same when seeing it , I have to look it up allthough I doubt I understand it.Thanks for Your idea!
    Burkhard

8. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The only thing I can think of is that the two red sections are equal area...by some mathematical theorem.

KJurt

9. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  10. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess I understood the article about Newton and Keppler -thanks for that!- but OMG I´ve looked up Fibonacci in Wikipedia ! That´s too high for me , so I´ll keep looking at the 1st left panel and adore without understanding .Thanks for any attempt to enlighten me!
    Best regards
    Burkhard

11. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We use Fibonacci at work, sometimes to help prioritize work when there are a lot of stakeholders.
    Say, you have a list of five things to prioritize and ten folks "voting" on how to prioritize them.
    If you use an ordinal numbered approach where everyone can assign a number from one to five to each item and then sum all of the points assigned to each item, it can be hard, sometimes, to determine a clear order, based on everyone's preferences.
    If the numbers you allow them to assign are based on the Fibonacci sequence (1, 2, 3, 5 and 8, in this case), the list broadens and clear winners and losers start to appear.