Some Chimes not Chiming

Logan5

Dec 27, 2022
Country
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't find it. Inherited a grandfather clock and everything works well, except the Winchester chimes miss one note. I have looked inside when it is running, and it appears that the gear with the nodes that run the hammers (sorry about non-technical terms), one of these nodes just misses the hammer, so it doesn't strike. Maybe there's an adjustment here, but I really don't know what I'm doing. Any help appreciated.

Edit: Sorry, model is Howard Miller from 1980, model #610-136, Westminster Chime (NOT Winchester, sorry!). I am attaching a video here. Hopefully it will help demonstrate the problem. You can see that the cam that moves the hammers is not moving one of them (or only moving it very minimally). There is no adjustment for different tunes, and the cam shaft appears to me to not to be adjustable, but I may be wrong. Video below.

Last edited:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't find it. Inherited a grandfather clock and everything works well, except the Winchester chimes miss one note. I have looked inside when it is running, and it appears that the gear with the nodes that run the hammers (sorry about non-technical terms), one of these nodes just misses the hammer, so it doesn't strike. Maybe there's an adjustment here, but I really don't know what I'm doing. Any help appreciated.
The barrel that has the nodes(pins) shifts when you change from one tune to another. It is probably not shifting quite far enough. There is an adjustment on most that allows you to set the position for each tune. A slight bit off can cause this.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Sounds like the pin has worn and needs replacing to match the length of the other pins.

It may just be slightly bent, in which case it can be carefully straightened in the same was as pins are straightened in a musical box.

JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
We could really use a pic of the hammer tail and the pin in question.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Here are the facts you gave. You inherited a GF clock and one chime rod does not sound. Westminster chimes? Triple chimes? Brand of clock movement?
Without any picture/videos any answer will only be a guess.
That is something you can do yourself with probably the same expected accuracy.
Many things can cause that hammer to not operate.
How about making the job easier with pictures, videos, etc?
JMHO
Dick

Logan5

Dec 27, 2022
Country
The barrel that has the nodes(pins) shifts when you change from one tune to another. It is probably not shifting quite far enough. There is an adjustment on most that allows you to set the position for each tune. A slight bit off can cause this.
Only has 4 chimes and one tune, so I think not adjustable.

Logan5

Dec 27, 2022
Country
Here are the facts you gave. You inherited a GF clock and one chime rod does not sound. Westminster chimes? Triple chimes? Brand of clock movement?
Without any picture/videos any answer will only be a guess.
That is something you can do yourself with probably the same expected accuracy.
Many things can cause that hammer to not operate.
How about making the job easier with pictures, videos, etc?
JMHO
Dick
Thanks! I wasn't clear before. Have edited original post with video and more information.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Looks like the square corner of the brass lifting piece, above the hammer pivot, has worn off. If you know a jeweler, you may be able to remove that hammer and take it to the jeweler for repair. Just tell him to build up (braze) that worn off corner up about 1mm. 1mm will be to high but this will allow you to adjust it with a little judicious filing, as necessary.

That's a Westminster chime and that part, or a complete chime hammer assembly, might not be to hard to find.

Willie X

Last edited:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Logan, the video explains it all. If you will post a photo of the whole hammer assembly, we may be able to see what the hammer looks like. I may have a hammer assembly like that in my bone pile.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
You have made some progress but still not enough information.
Most case manufacturers in the USA used German movements in their clocks and used different movements in different models of clocks.
So here we are with different movement manufacturers and different movement models.
Howard Miller is not an exception.

Most movements of that era have been around long enough to wear out several times.
A movement showing the fault/s yours has is indicative of more and bigger problems.
Repairing the problem with one chime hammer won't necessarily be a long lasting, reliable fix.

Please provide what is stamped on the rear plate of the clock movement for proper ID and analysis.
Best regards,
Dick

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
I probably have some of those hammers but I’m leaving town early tomorrow and will be back Sunday night. I’ll look Monday and let you know.
Will

Logan5

Dec 27, 2022
Country
I probably have some of those hammers but I’m leaving town early tomorrow and will be back Sunday night. I’ll look Monday and let you know.
Will
Thank you, I would very much appreciate that!

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Logan,
Please understand that clock repair is more than bolting new or used parts to a movement.
Nor is it a guessing game. If you have one clock to repair, the learning curve honestly is too steep to justify the effort, time and tools. A more logical approach with one clock is to take it to a Qualified clock repair person. The key word is qualified. This world and this board is populated by all levels of clock repair people. The good ones are very good and represent hundreds of years of experience and high skill levels. The others can and will sometimes give bad advice or suggest a less than quality repair.
If your movement was manufactured in the 1980"s, the replacement parts may come from another 1980's movement.
Yes, another 40+ year old movement that likely will have or is due to have the same problem/s.
If you want to repair clocks (not clock), I would suggest you first find a mentor. The next thing I recommend is to read every book you can find on clock repair. From those you will glean the vocabulary and ability to ask intelligent questions. A good source for a mentor would be a local NAWCC chapter. Try this link:
Local Chapters - National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors, Inc.
Best of luck with your clock,
Dick

Logan5

Dec 27, 2022
Country
Logan,
Please understand that clock repair is more than bolting new or used parts to a movement.
Nor is it a guessing game. If you have one clock to repair, the learning curve honestly is too steep to justify the effort, time and tools. A more logical approach with one clock is to take it to a Qualified clock repair person. The key word is qualified. This world and this board is populated by all levels of clock repair people. The good ones are very good and represent hundreds of years of experience and high skill levels. The others can and will sometimes give bad advice or suggest a less than quality repair.
If your movement was manufactured in the 1980"s, the replacement parts may come from another 1980's movement.
Yes, another 40+ year old movement that likely will have or is due to have the same problem/s.
If you want to repair clocks (not clock), I would suggest you first find a mentor. The next thing I recommend is to read every book you can find on clock repair. From those you will glean the vocabulary and ability to ask intelligent questions. A good source for a mentor would be a local NAWCC chapter. Try this link:
Local Chapters - National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors, Inc.
Best of luck with your clock,
Dick
Okay, thanks for the advice! I am actually enjoying running it as is for the moment, albeit with one chime missing. I will start to look into your suggestions.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Logan if this is what you need let me know. You can have it for the shipping cost.
Will

8A28E025-9B47-4F25-B04C-2718C6C9F5B6.jpeg

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

NAWCC Forums

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greatwhitewing