Help Solved Tag?

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by gleber, Oct 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see there are prefixes on posts (like Help, Feature, Problem in this section). Is there a way to tag repair posts that have been solved, with a "Solved" prefix or similar? I looked around and don't see something similar, but I might have missed something. I think it would be helpful for posts like a recent one I started, but eventually solved A Tale of Two Racks. It might help people find solutions quicker and not duplicate common problems?

Tom

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are two different features that are often called tags. To distinguish them we call them prefixes and tags. The help you chose for this thread is a prefix and we also use that to sort the contents of some of the forums. We also have the ones we call tags that are used to provide a search and retrieval feature for similar ideas that might span several different forums.

I will be happy to add a solved prefix to the repair forums. Are there other forums where you feel it would be appropriate?

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tom. I sort of figured out the tag vs prefix, but thanks for confirming the information, and for adding the prefix. I think it will be helpful. I didn't have any other places in mind, but maybe it will help when people ask for an ID or date, which is frequent.

How are the prefixes added? I noticed the Help prefix when I started this post, but I tried to click the x and remove it. I did not see a Feature prefix, which I thought would have been more appropriate.

Tom

4. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I gave the clock forum two available prefixes for help and solved. As it is set up right now, you need to ask a moderator to change the prefix. I can investigate giving thread starters the ability to do that edit. Until then you can just report the thread with the message "please mark solved."

5. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When you start a thread, you have a set of prefixes, just like the Help prefix in this forum. Tags are added with the "tag" line just below the thread title. You can search for tags and find all the threads that share one. For prefixes, you can use those to organize the contents of a forum. i.e. it there are a number of solved threads in clock repair, clicking on the prefix of any of them will show only the threads with that prefix. If people choose to use help, those will have the same behavior. It has not been there before since they are essentially all help requests.

6. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can a prefix be added to a thread after the 1st post?

Tom

7. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A moderator may edit the thread title at any time. I may be able to enable the OP also being able to do that. You would not want some third party doing it for mischief. The prefix is part of the thread title with some additional functions.