Solid gold case, does that apply to the inner cover?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Kerry Chipman, May 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kerry Chipman

Kerry Chipman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2017
    On a watch marked solid gold; should the plate that is inside and just covers the movement also be solid gold?

To make sure I'm reading this right, There's an "eagle" and an "18". I assume the mark that is supposed to be an eagle but it looks more like a squirrel and the 18 at the top indicate this should be solid 18K right?
    There's another thread about the eagle squirrel, several years old. I believe most people thought it was fake and considering the gold level that I found....
    I did a non-destructive gold test and it showed around 10K. Once that was so low I decided to double check with a scratch/acid test on the inside cover and it went through to copper very quickly like plate. It also indicated 10K or less.

Howard Keystone (1 of 1).JPG Pocket Watches May 22 (67 of 78).JPG Pocket Watches May 22 (73 of 78).JPG Pocket Watches May 22 (75 of 78).JPG Pocket Watches May 22 (76 of 78).JPG Pocket Watches May 22 (70 of 78).JPG

2. Waine

Waine Registered User

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    All 18K watches I have had the inner plate is METAL and stamped as such. 18K is soft and generally needs the added strength of metal to give the case some rigidity. If this is an American case there would be no symbol as the US to my knowledge never had official symbols to designate metal purities. May be an American movement cased in a Foreign case?? Look very closely at all 'WEAR" points under 10X and you will usually find wear through if gold filled. You can also apply light pressure to the center of the cover when opened with your thumbs and it should flex very easily if 18K as there would be no base metal.

3. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To the best of my recollection, the cuvettes on all my of my many American-made solid gold pocket watch cases are also solid gold, such as this 18k cuvette on an 18k Solidarity case.

IMG_5916.JPG

In contrast, although nearly all of the cuvettes on my many European-made solid gold pocket watch cases are solid gold, some are plated, e.g., some IWC cases..

4. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Brooklyn Watch Case Co. "Eagle" cases are 8 Kt gold. I can't account for the "18" marking.

1887_March_Brooklyn_Eagle_&_Wheat.jpg

5. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are Eagle stamps for 18K on American gold cases. I'm still looking for the link I found years ago.

Keith R...

Eagle stamps (500x375).jpg

viclip likes this.
  6. OldSchool1959

OldSchool1959 Seaboard Coastline RR Fanatic!
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Rolesville NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought quite a few gold cases back between 2007 and 2012 and all the dust covers were the same gold content as the covers. Thats all the input I can offer to this thread.

7. Kerry Chipman

Kerry Chipman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Great info! Thank you. So do you think it's not a counterfeit watch case, it's just low gold content? And the squirrel-eagle is just a different poor quality mark compared to other BWCC eagles? Or do you think it's a counterfeit trying to pass as 18K, along with the 18 symbol above the squirrel-eagle? I know I'm asking a question there may be no definitive answer for, it's just kind of interesting and I really don't mind speculation regarding this watch. Either way I think I can assume that at best it is a few hundred dollar watch rather than a few thousand dollar watch.

8. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    I don't know.

However, I've seen that sort of '18' marking on cases that were not 18-size and were not 18K gold.