Sold

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by moe1942, Apr 27, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. moe1942

moe1942 Registered User

Oct 25, 2010
    retired USAF Etc..
    Alexandria, La
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm sold on One Lube. Thanks Harold and others for the heads up on that product. Can't find my original thread about the problem I had with a Seikosha that wouldn't run three days, but it just completed it's first test with One Lube and it ran just a few hours short of eight days. I reapplied some more lube cause I may have applied too sparingly the first time. It is in the test stand now for a retest.

The only down side is it's a little messy but could be my application technique..

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Moe, i use it too, i use the tube that attaches to it, it is easier to apply with it. I started using this not long after Harold Bain mentioned it here.

3. moe1942

moe1942 Registered User

Oct 25, 2010
    retired USAF Etc..
    Alexandria, La
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder if applying it when the spring is unwound would be better. I tried applying and winding and unwinding but it squeezed it out. I don't know if it got to all of the spring.

I have a rod that I attach the loop to and unwind it while inspecting and cleaning. It would be a simple matter to do it again and use my fingers to lube completely. How do you do it?

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I spray it when its on the winder, un wound, then wind a few times and wipe the excess off.Sometimes a bit comes off later. It does not take much, usually i put a bit too much on though.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I spray it to the unwound spring and spread it by hand to the surfaces of the spring, then wind and wipe off any that squeezes out.

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I put the unwound spring on a piece of kitchen roll paper and spray it. Then I put the spring in the spring winder and wind and unwind it a few times. I do this until it winds and unwinds really smoothly. Then I wind it again and remove any excess of oil by wiping the sides of the spring. Than the spring is ready to go back into the movement.

Uhralt

7. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Check post #3 in this thread: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?87090-Mainspring-Servicing for my approach to servicing a spring full length without stretching it out.

I start at the inner end of the spring (small coils), spray some 1-Lube on the spring, and wipe it along on both sides with fingers of right hand. Spray some more, do it again, work my way all the way down to the outer end of the spring. That's it. I don't worry about excess 1-Lube...there never is any. Lube it, put it back in the barrel.