So, how much lead is enough?

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Jim DuBois, Jul 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Went out today and picked up a bit of lead. About 350 pounds in total. Should keep me in business for a bit. I used a like amount very quickly for tower clock weights recently. but, no more tower clock weights needed right now.

2019-07-04 16.54.07.jpg

PatH likes this.
  2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I remember when I bought about 60 pounds of lead on eBay and the seller put it in a flat rate priority mail box. He wrapped the box with duct tape to keep it together. I got a note in my mailbox from the post office saying they had a box for me that they couldn't lift. I had to go down to the post office to retrieve it.

Frank

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I hope my wife doesn't see this. She's been telling me for years to get the lead out.:argument:

PatH likes this.
  4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are they sash weights? Here you can buy sashweights as 50 mm dia lead with a central hole and cut to length, I assume it is extruded. I've bought it before now to make clock weights, you just put an expansion bolt with a ring terminal in one end.

I seem to be over run with clock weights now, but they were very expensive to buy at one point and the sash weight option was really cheap.

5. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also ordered lead from evidently that same eBay seller. Our postal person might weigh 100 pounds soaking wet, but she was trying to deliver the box. I took it out of the truck myself much to her chagrin but also her relief.

6. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Novice, these are weights from modern clocks. I have not tried to buy sashweights hereabouts, ever. I have had a few as a result of owning some quite old houses, by American standards. For a period of time, I was getting 12 pound cast iron weights for as little as $3 each in quantities of 100. Most recently that source wants $30 each. As to the lead I have cast many weights, many for dealers, some custom made for collectors for special clocks. Of course, wheel weights used to be $.08 per pound. Since our insipid government EPA rules forced all the lead smelting overseas we are lucky to get lead or wheel weights for $1 a pound here. I am all in favor of protecting ourselves from really dangerous fumes/chemicals/materials but the smelting of lead safely had been done here for a long time, but safe wasn't good enough. End of rant! Back to making weights?